Missing Tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keflan

Aquarium Advice Activist
I had 5 neon tetras but now I only have one. I'm not sure what happened to the others. I have checkered barbs, guppies, silver tailed shark which is small, a platty, and a shrimp which is a bit big.

Is it possible it could of been eaten by one of them.

Well, it is possible they died and their bodies were eaten.
It might be possible that they are amazing at hiding as well.
Fish decompose pretty fast, and many of them will chow down on dead fish pretty fast too. So, it could juts be that they died and the bodies did not last long enough to see. Generally though, I would think if they had died, you would have found at least a body or 2.
How big is the tank? Are there places to hide?

It's only a 40 litre tank and there is a set of stairs which is an ornament the only hiding place is underneath and I can see right under it. The shrimp tends to hide under the stairs while all the others are out an about swimming.

That's about a 10 gallon tank. You are very overstocked. Check aquadvisor to see what it says.
I'd guess that your tetras were dying and the shrimp grabbed them. I witnessed this in my own tank. A ghost shrimp can completely eat a 1" fish in a couple hours leaving no remains. If a fish is struggling to swim they will just grab them out of the water and start eating them alive.

Ouch. I have a 80 litre tank ready to go almost. Water levels are fine. I just need some plants and a background drop for it. Picking it up tomorrow after work so hopefully will have the fish in a new 80 litre tank tomorrow.

You should figure out exactly what your silver tailed shark is, if it's a bala shark they can get over a foot long, they need to be in schools, and need a 100+ gallon tank.
That could have been what ate your tetras as well.
Barbs also need at least a 30 gallon tank.

You are pretty overstocked. I understand it is only temporary, but I agree that your fish are likely getting eaten after they die.
Also, the silver tailed shark is likely a Balantiocheilos melanopterus (also known as the Bala shark) and will not be a suitable fish for an 80 litre tank due to it's adult size.
The checkered barbs should be fine in my opinion, though slightly larger tank would be a bit better. Still, they are only a 2 inch fish. Not exactly tank busters.
I have no idea what kind of shrimp you have. Bamboo shrimp are rather large, but I am not sure if that is what you have or not.

I no longer have some of these fish. I took the sharks and barbs back to shop.

I now use a 80 litre tank with the fish I mentioned in another thread

I no longer have some of these fish. I took the sharks and barbs back to shop.

I now use a 80 litre tank with the fish I mentioned in another thread

Sounds good. I think the other fish you have now are a better fit for your tank size. :)

Sounds good. I think the other fish you have now are a better fit for your tank size. :)

Thanks. I have a spare 25 litre tank which I am thinking of putting in a male Siamese but not sure what other fish to add with it.

Back
Top Bottom