Mixing Corys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mmckinniss

Aquarium Advice Regular
About a month ago I added 6 Julii Corys to my newly cycled 55g. Two days ago I came home to find one upside down on the substrate. After grieving the loss, I've decided to replace it next time I visit the LFS because I'd like to keep a school of at least 6.

My question is whether various breeds of Corys will school together. That is, do I have to get another Julii, or can I feel free to get, say, a Tiger Cory or two?

Also in the tank are 3 Swordtails and 3 Platys.

You can mix them. I would get three tigers if that is ok with your stocking plan, or more. My groups mix together, and spend time in their own little pods.

I have a 75 gallon tank with 4 spotted cory, 2 albino and 1 panda. They scatter around the tank although every once in a while I see all of them school together. I guess it just varies on their personalities

Thanks, CF & Leonardo. I won't feel confined to more Juliis, then. I'll go nuts or something.

Mixing Corydoras

About a month ago I added 6 Julii Corys to my newly cycled 55g. Two days ago I came home to find one upside down on the substrate. After grieving the loss, I've decided to replace it next time I visit the LFS because I'd like to keep a school of at least 6.

My question is whether various breeds of Corys will school together. That is, do I have to get another Julii, or can I feel free to get, say, a Tiger Cory or two?

Also in the tank are 3 Swordtails and 3 Platys.

Hello mm...

Totally agree with mixing Corys. I have a dozen or so in one of "Livebearer" tanks, half are Pandas and half Orange Saddles. Another tank has Emeralds and Orange Saddles. Mine pretty much keep to their group, but are peaceful toward different Corys.

Corydoras are "shoaling" fish. They may stay in rough groups to forage around the tank for food, but their movements are strictly individual. Next time you're in the pet store, take a look at Tetras. Those are "schooling" fish.

B

Hello mm...

Totally agree with mixing Corys. I have a dozen or so in one of "Livebearer" tanks, half are Pandas and half Orange Saddles. Another tank has Emeralds and Orange Saddles. Mine pretty much keep to their group, but are peaceful toward different Corys.

Corydoras are "shoaling" fish. They may stay in rough groups to forage around the tank for food, but their movements are strictly individual. Next time you're in the pet store, take a look at Tetras. Those are "schooling" fish.

B

I'm not familiar with Orange Saddles? Can you fill me in?

Cories will shoal together regardless of type but you will see much more interaction between two cories that are the same species than differing :)

Cories will shoal together regardless of type but you will see much more interaction between two cories that are the same species than differing :)

+1 to this. I have 4 different cories in my 150g and they do all shoal together, my julies stick together and are more private than the others though. My peppereds, emeralds, and albinos all act like they are old friends though and shoal together like they are the same species.

I agree too! That is why I suggested you get at least 3 of the other type.

"Orange Saddle" Corys

I'm not familiar with Orange Saddles? Can you fill me in?

Hello again mm...

I hadn't heard of or seen this species either. I picked them up at a small (non-chain) pet store near me a year or so ago. They remind me of Pandas. The markings are similar with the stripes and all. But, these fish are a bit larger. The body is tan and the stripes are a burnt orange color, similar to the "Adolf's Cory".

They have an orange mark on top of the body, nearly in the middle too. Guess that's the reason for the name "Orange Saddle". I've never seen pics of them in books or anywhere else. Could be a hybrid someone came up with and sold to the pet store.

B

Pics of "Orange Saddle" Corydoras

Can you post a pic of the orange saddles?

Hello again owen...

OK. Here are some pics of the Corys. I've always kept low light, low tech tanks and it seems I read at one time, that Corys prefer low light, so that's what I've provided. Hope the pics are clear enough.

B

Attachments

• PC190419.jpg
    PC190419.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 73
  • PC190420.jpg
    PC190420.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 60
  • PC190424.jpg
    PC190424.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 58
  • PC190425.jpg
    PC190425.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 58
Hello again mm...

I hadn't heard of or seen this species either. I picked them up at a small (non-chain) pet store near me a year or so ago. They remind me of Pandas. The markings are similar with the stripes and all. But, these fish are a bit larger. The body is tan and the stripes are a burnt orange color, similar to the "Adolf's Cory".

They have an orange mark on top of the body, nearly in the middle too. Guess that's the reason for the name "Orange Saddle". I've never seen pics of them in books or anywhere else. Could be a hybrid someone came up with and sold to the pet store.

B

Thanks. A GIS didn't reveal anything, just a bunch of orange bicycle seats.

Hello again owen...

OK. Here are some pics of the Corys. I've always kept low light, low tech tanks and it seems I read at one time, that Corys prefer low light, so that's what I've provided. Hope the pics are clear enough.

B

Thanks for the pics. You're right about the size. Hard to tell from the pics, but they look to be about 3-4". Is that right?

Orange Saddle Corydoras

Thanks for the pics. You're right about the size. Hard to tell from the pics, but they look to be about 3-4". Is that right?

Hello mm...

I've had these Corys in a 55G tank for about a year. They're a smaller variety. They're currently one and a half inches long, so pretty small. Have no idea how large they get.

B

Back
Top Bottom