mixing different cory cats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I went back and watched that video a few more times...and then went home and watched my cories, and you guys are right. My fish are doing "fine" but there is a real difference when they are in the proper numbers. It might take me awhile but I'm gonna really work towards correcting that. I want to see my guys look that relaxed. :)

Did you notice how the sterbai (?) Cory had nothing to do with the peppered Corys? Of course that's just a clip, but given the topic at hand I thought it worthwhile pointing out.

I have kept different kinds and had some school all together. But they mostly stick with their own kind but is was pretty cool seeing all 20 of mine school together once :).

5 gallon Betta Tank
In Progress 20L Reef

What is the name of the video called

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Hello Fin...

Ideally, you want a group of 6 or more, since Corys are shoaling fish and are comfortable in groups. However, they're adaptable and will live just fine in a smaller group or as an individual or mixed species. Just keep their water as free of dissolved wastes as possible and feed them a varied diet. They'll be fine.

B

thank you =)

I have mostly black nat geo substrate. The pieces are small and irregular but not sharp. I've had no issues with my 2 panda, 2 albino and 1 Julie cory. They love my plants and driftwood. They basically act the same except not burrowing under the substrate. I've had no damaged barbels. They also really like getting in their cave under a piece of slate to sleep. I don't know if they would be happier with sand but they seem fine now.

Surfnturf
img_3107144_0_b6cb2fe2ef2d6daa64c17c623274362e.jpg

Hi surf
I think most people, including myself, recommend sand because cories are prone to digging for microorganisms and it's much easier to do in sand. It's also easier on their soft underside.
A lot of people find that they do just fine on smooth gravel, but it must be clean. Cories start having barbel issues when they're digging around in mulm, old food, and just general grossness in my experience. But I will say I think my cories are glad I made the switch :)

Back
Top Bottom