Mixing RO and Well water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maxw47

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So, let me start off by saying that I want my water at a Ph of 6.8 and a GH of 2-4 (for fundulopanchax gardneri killifish). But I have a slight problem. I have well water with a Ph of 8.2 and a GH of 7-8. My theory was that if half of the water is RO, then my GH would be 4ish and my Ph would be somewhere around 7.8 (my guess). Obviously, I can't get my Ph below 7 by adding RO. So how could I keep my GH at four (by adding half RO), but get my Ph to 6.8? Originally I was thinking about putting in a piece of driftwood, but that wouldn't allow me to lower it to 6.8 exactly. How should I go about getting my water to that point? Really, the Ph could be in the range of 6.5 to 7, so it doesn't need to be exact. Should I try the driftwood? Thanks for any replies in advance.

A real head-scratcher. First, I don't have your issue so have no experience (the pH and GH of my tapwater is fine for my fish). Second, for the same reasons, I've never had to adjust either one... so...

But were it me? I'd play mad scientist and do some experiments.

if 50/50 didn't work, after testing, I'd try 60/40 or 70/30 hoping to find a combination that would work well for my tank.

The only other question is, not having well water, is its pH and GH stable? Otherwise whatever 'formula' you use might not translate from one day to the next.

I know you were hoping for a better and more well-informed answer, but that's all I've got.

Good luck!

So i had figured out what I would do a few days ago. I am going to use pure RO water and add equilibrium (RO suppliment with all of tye minerals and such) to rech my desired gh, while still having the ph of 7 from the RO. Then once the tank(s) is established, and maybe with a little driftwood, the ph should drop to just below seven. Perfect!

So i had figured out what I would do a few days ago. I am going to use pure RO water and add equilibrium (RO suppliment with all of tye minerals and such) to rech my desired gh, while still having the ph of 7 from the RO. Then once the tank(s) is established, and maybe with a little driftwood, the ph should drop to just below seven. Perfect!

Sounds good to me. :)

Back
Top Bottom