Molly or Platy fry ????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

earhtmother

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So the hubby keeps both mollies & platies in his 125g with the Kribs & I rescue what fry I can before they become snacks ?
Is there an easy way to differentiate between them while they are still in the 1-2" size range? Thinking I am going to liberate ? the mollies to one of my tanks since they should be in the minority (I can tell they are in the adults )
Also is it just old age distorting my perspective or are there some giant mutant mollies out there now? I sure don't remember the mollies in my tanks 40+ years ago being as big as some of his adults are.

For my first guess I might try to match up colors ?
Next if you can see it the head is a little longer on mollies..
As for size I am pretty surprised how big my swordtails get.. They may have grown to over 4 inches back when I was young ,but maybe they just live a little longer for me now.

I

Unfortunately the colour mix is similar in both species ? even have lyre tails in both so using that doesn't help either. I was using body shape as a basic id since I know the platies stay squarer than the Mollies - his giant mutant mollies at least ?
20171231_185224.jpg20171231_185154.jpg

Back
Top Bottom