Moon light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BakerBoy17

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Anyone have any ideas on how to diy a moon light for my 75G and my 32G?

Blue colored LED christmas lights is a simple DIY. Or a real el cheapo method I saw on youtube .... someone slide a dark blue cellophane like plastic paper under their regular tank lights. Just look up DIY moonlights.

You can go to an autopart store and buy the led strips they have. All you have to do is strip the wires and connect it to a 12v wall adapter.

seekinghealth said:
Do they have blue ones?

Yes, I bought the 8" blue led strip which is two 4" strips for my 12 gallon. They have several lengths. Below is a pic of my tank, I appologize for the blurry pic it was taking with my cellphone.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110809_233437.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110809_233437.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 78
Can you give me a link to the led light strips you bought? They are awesome!

That's what I was thinking. But he said he just went to the auto parts store

These are the ones I bought from autozone. You can find them cheaper on ebay.

Attachments

• downloadfile-2.jpeg
    downloadfile-2.jpeg
    8 KB · Views: 57
seekinghealth said:
Would a black light work?

Black lights look magical, I find some of the led lights to be too bright IMO, if your substrate is clearly visible it's a good sign your a tad over powered, accenting the top of plants and decor is a good start

dollabill420 said:
Black lights look magical, I find some of the led lights to be too bright IMO, if your substrate is clearly visible it's a good sign your a tad over powered, accenting the top of plants and decor is a good start

In small tanks you will always your substrate no matter what type of leds you use

alex07 said:
In small tanks you will always your substrate no matter what type of leds you use

In small tanks you will always see your substrate no matter what type of leds you use. Sorry for the typo.

alex07 said:

Yeh this is true, they could be very dim and would still penetrate a 10 gallon no problem, fish don't seem to mind either way a great deal they still rest, iv heard that there is certain color spectrums fish can't see kinda like reptiles can't really see blue/red I'm not sure how true this is but would be interesting if someone knew for sure

Ya it would. And that's an experiment that wouldn't hurt the fish. They should try

Back
Top Bottom