Moral Dilema

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

College Kid

Aquarium Advice Activist
Today at a petstore I overheard an employee selling a bala shark, along with about 4 other fish, to a couple for their kid's 10g aquarium. From the questions they were asking, I ASSUME that it was their first aquarium. Since a bala is not suited for a 10g community for any long period of time, I just casually mentioned to the employee when he was getting me my fish that I hoped to have a large enough tank for balas one day, and that's it.

I'm just wondering what the "right" thing to do would have been? Does one talk to the couple? The employee? What does one say? I mean it's their tank and ultimately their decision, and who am I to barge into the conversation right?

Usually its best not to say anything... Either the employee will get snippy with you, or the couple will. Unfortunately, its something they will learn on their own.

Haha, this is exactly what I think to myself. I need a summer job but a place like PetSmart is the only place I feel like I could not get bored and tired of. But I don't know how I could manage to work there because I wouldn't tell people to change filters every other week and buy a bunch of unnecessary things.
It kills me seeing people pick out little tanks and then going to look at fish and ask the person working for fish too. I think I'd get fired for all the correct things I tell people when they've been led to believe something false.
On a few occasions I've had people ask me if I work at PetSmart when I go because there is a sale and nobody working. I'm like uh well no but I'm sure I know more then all the people who work here. I've been tempted a few times to give people advice on better prices and what fish to get and what is compatible and what is not, but I keep my mouth shut for now.

Good to know that others have noticed this too. Keeping my mouth shut seems best, but poor fish and owners! I know I'm not a master fish keeper by any means (yet???) but I know I've made mistakes, learned from them, and can help others prevent mistakes of their own. A job at petsmart also seems cool to me. I do culinary work for my school now. After being in this hobby for a bit, I think I like fish more than I do food. Lol

Surprisingly enough I was at petsmart the other day and heard an employee telling off a customer because they didn't have enough room for the fish they were buying. I appreciated it!

That's great! I feel like it helps to learn from mistakes but the people should give correct info. I know some of the tags at petsmart have odd information that I think should be different.

I've been talking to this one girl who seems my age there and thinking about asking her if you have to have any prior knowledge.

Def think I have what it takes to work there. I have 5 tanks and I've learned a lot. Then got my buddy involved and taught him. Very fun stuff

Ita good that a petsmart employee was given the right advice. The guy I was talking bout worked at petsmart. I've notices that it seems everyone here loves to learn. And I like that :) learning from you guys and learning in general about everything fish is just so darn enjoyable. love it!

I work there... I love my coworkers. We all actually have tanks and our one manager is really passionate about fish and animals in general. We have the least amount of fish returns and deaths in our district.

Talvari said:
I work there... I love my coworkers. We all actually have tanks and our one manager is really passionate about fish and animals in general. We have the least amount of fish returns and deaths in our district.

That's awesome. Yeah, I don't intend for all this to come off as store bashing if it's starting to sound like that. The regular girl at my petsmart is always helpful and very knowledgeable... Same at the petco near me.

Do the people from other departments take over sometimes? Cause I've seen the very knowledgeable dog ppl at the fish section too sometimes. Do you all have to be knowledgeable in all animal areas? (good to know if I ever apply to petsmart ;) )

last time i saw something like this happen(a petsmart employee was selling betta keepers and bettas to a mom and 2 roughly 4 year old kids) i told the employee off and wouldnt shut up until my mom said we'd leave if i didnt. i tell people all the time there tanks arent big enough,fish arent compatible,they need to cycle,etc. i feel you should speak up,to both the employee ad the customer

That's awesome. Yeah, I don't intend for all this to come off as store bashing if it's starting to sound like that. The regular girl at my petsmart is always helpful and very knowledgeable... Same at the petco near me.

Do the people from other departments take over sometimes? Cause I've seen the very knowledgeable dog ppl at the fish section too sometimes. Do you all have to be knowledgeable in all animal areas? (good to know if I ever apply to petsmart ;) )

It helps to know all sections of the store... The people in the fish department work with the reptiles, the fish, and any of the small birds/mammals. If anyone ever needs help in the other parts of the store, though, you are expected to be able to at least help them find the product they need and be able to suggest product to them if they ask for your recommendation.

I'm just wondering what the "right" thing to do would have been? Does one talk to the couple? The employee? What does one say? I mean it's their tank and ultimately their decision, and who am I to barge into the conversation right?

Getting involved in a conversation with buyers like this doesn't have to end up with ill will being spread throughout the store. It just needs to be handled with dignity.

I actually would've corralled the family with the employee and politely said something like "excuse me, I'm sorry to interrupt, but I just heard you recommend bala sharks for a 10 gallon..... my understanding is that balas need groups of 5 and a 125 gallon tank as they can reach 10-14 inches...."

Polite conversations are welcome by just about anyone in just about any venue. You had the perfect opportunity to share your fishkeeping experience, but by not getting involved you haven't helped a) the fish, b) the employee or c) the family.

Getting involved in a conversation with buyers like this doesn't have to end up with ill will being spread throughout the store. It just needs to be handled with dignity.

I actually would've corralled the family with the employee and politely said something like "excuse me, I'm sorry to interrupt, but I just heard you recommend bala sharks for a 10 gallon..... my understanding is that balas need groups of 5 and a 125 gallon tank as they can reach 10-14 inches...."

Polite conversations are welcome by just about anyone in just about any venue. You had the perfect opportunity to share your fishkeeping experience, but by not getting involved you haven't helped a) the fish, b) the employee or c) the family.

As an employee, I can tell you most people don't listen. Ive had people butt in before, with right information and wrong information. 9 times out of 10, the current customer doesnt listen.

Perfect example? I had a younger guy in who wanted two oscars for a 50 gallon tank. I tried explaining to him that they needed much more space, and he just rolled his eyes. Que a frequent customer of mine that comes in who has a 120 oscar tank... with just two oscars. He asked the kid if he was planning on upgrading or if he was planning on getting rid of them when they were too big. The kid told him to mind his own business and left.

I guess it kind of depends on if you are a confrontational person. You have to be ready for the chance that the same people you are trying to help turn around and get quite rude to you. "mind your own business." 'What do you know?" "Who cares, its just a fish." "It'll die before then, anyways."

I love the Petsmart I frequent. Everyone in the fish section has multiple fish tanks and have helped me more than a few times with problems I have. We all talk about our fish and what we're doing with our tanks. I've helped numerous people when I stand there looking at the fish. If I over hear people talking about fish, I try to tell them about making sure the fish they pick is right for the tank they have.

As an employee, I can tell you most people don't listen. Ive had people butt in before, with right information and wrong information. 9 times out of 10, the current customer doesnt listen.

I've done this so many times I've lost count and I've never once had either the employee or the customer had an issue with it. As I said before, it's all in the approach. A soft approach, a smile and showing an interest in the welfare of the customer makes a world of difference in how they respond to a stranger wanting to help.

For what it's worth, I never "butt in". ;)

I have to say I was really disheartened reading all the posts here which basically indicated you should run with your tail between your legs. I would've thought fishkeepers would want to get involved.

Maybe some people's reluctance is the product of bad experience. I've had some really pleasant convos with people in various stores and in those situations advice and knowledge is shared. But every time I've tried to politely talk with "strangers" buying fish, I'm met with the same resistance Talvari mentioned above. It seems like 3/4 people I meet in stores have a very expendable attitude towards their fish. Which is why I joined and love this forum: you guys care!!!!!!!!!

A similar thing happened to me. I was looking over some fish when I overheard a woman ask a Petco employee "how do I start a tank"... The employee said "just buy a tank, add water, wait a day or 2 and then add fish".
I waited for them to seperate and for the woman and her husband to get out of ear shot of the employee.
I explained to the woman about fishless cycling. I chuckled and told her, everything Im saying to you might as well be in french cause you wont understand a word Im saying. The point is, you can NOT just wait a day or 2 and then add fish.
I took a piece of paper and pen, wrote "aquariumadvice.com" and told her if she is serious about a tank, go to this site to learn how to start a tank. Yay me!!! Hahaha

gregcuoz said:
a similar thing happened to me. I was looking over some fish when i overheard a woman ask a petco employee "how do i start a tank"... The employee said "just buy a tank, add water, wait a day or 2 and then add fish".
I waited for them to seperate and for the woman and her husband to get out of ear shot of the employee.
I explained to the woman about fishless cycling. I chuckled and told her, everything im saying to you might as well be in french cause you wont understand a word im saying. The point is, you can not just wait a day or 2 and then add fish.
I took a piece of paper and pen, wrote "aquariumadvice.com" and told her if she is serious about a tank, go to this site to learn how to start a tank. Yay me!!! Hahaha

whoo hoo!! Go you!

I was at petsmart last week and heard a worker say that you can buy a common pleco and it will only grow as large as the tank you have for it. So the customer said so if I put it in a small tank it will stay small and the worker said yes. I was like OMG let me get my neons that were on sale for 1 dollar a piece and get out before I say something and get thrown out.

Back
Top Bottom