Most Rare & Unusual Need Help to I.D this little guys issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hollie526

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I am hoping that there is someone out there who may know what is wrong with this Juvenile Golden Dojo Loach. Maybe someone has had this experience seen or heard of this. Maybe offering help to what can be done for this little guy.
I was given this fish who actually made it to a store front. The lady who was bagging the 5 normal sibling dojo fish for me when he made it into the bag. I questioned her as to what may have happened, but she did not know. She gave him to me because I showed concern for him. I am baffeled and find it hard to see that no one noticed this prior to all the methods a fish goes through to make it into our home aquariums. Has anyone seen this before and can offer help with ideas as to what this poor guy has. thank you so very much.

Attachments

• P1020712.jpg
    P1020712.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 89
  • P1020714.jpg
    P1020714.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 73
  • P1020718.jpg
    P1020718.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 77
  • P1020720.jpg
    P1020720.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 70
Oh my!!! This poor fish! Is he able to eat? I have never seen anything this severe before but my guess would be its either columnaris (also known as mouth fungus) which is a bacterial infection or its lymphocystis (viral disease causing tumor growths). Bacterial infections can be treated with antibiotics. Viral diseases are not generally treatable. Can you possibly qt him?

Yes he is eating, I see him every day and he likes to eat. He does not seem to be breathing heavy. I am reaching out to as many fish forums as I can in the hopes someone will know. So far a few people are suspecting possible tumor or cyst nothing confirmed yet. He does not have any signs of fuzz growth, seems to be more like a blister looking affliction, wondering if it is possible that it may actually be one caused trying to dig in gravel, but i have never seen this nor have i seen or found pictures on the internet as of yet to compare to it. The lady in the store told me they traveled with aggressive fish it could be that another fish hurt him as well, but could it turn into this?

If its not fuzzy looking, that leaves us with lymphocystis (unless he was born like this). Its a virus that enters a fish typically through open wound or as the result of a fish being stressed & immuno-suppressed (poor environment). Its also known as 'cauliflower disease' (resembles said veggie). The virus causes tumor growths of skin cells on the body or fins. There is no treatment for viruses and it can be spread to other fish.

I have seen several pictures of Lymphocystis and it does not look like that, this is more internal. It is possible he was born like this as he does act like the rest and seems adjusted to his condition. Several other people have said that it may be if he was not born this way, a tumor. Time will tell. But he is active, eating, socializing and running up and down the glass like dojos like to do.

I guess your correct in stating time will tell. If hes eating, active, & happy lets hope it is just some strange anomaly he was born with and nothing infectious. I wish you good luck with this guy!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom