Moving Fish tank with green water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyquidphyre

Aquarium Advice Addict
So in less than a month I will be moving (eep!). My tank right now has green-ish water and Im not worried so much about the move (its only 20min away). I was wondering, since I have substrate that will stay moist... can I just fill the tank up with new water? That way I can get a clean start with my water, yet keep the bacteria because of the substrate.

Does that sound okay?
Also, I will make sure to put my tank in a less sunny spot

The best method is to place as much of your tank water in a rubbermaid tub along with your gravel. Your decorations can also be transported this way. Just don't make it too heavy. A gallon of tank water is 8 lbs, plus the weight of the gravel.

The substrate came in 3 (heavy) buckets so it would stay totally really moist (I plan to put the substrate in buckets because a 75gal is heavy enough empty)

I plan to put the fish in a rubbermaid bucket and as soon as I get to the house (prolly within an hour) I will hook up and airstone and maybe filter until I get totally set up (the tank that is)...

So basically the only original water that will go back in the tank is the water that the fish are in.... which is slightly green... so thats why the less original water the better (visually)... but is it okay bacteria wise?

Absolutely...no die off with the moisture being present. The more you harvest, the better it will be (avoiding mini-cycle at all costs). Don't forget the bacteria rich decor!

Okay good good

Im not looking foward to moving two 29's and the 75gal
*sigh* so much fish catching... so much water filling... so much heaviness to carry

What kind of filtration do you have? Hopefully you have bacteria rich canister filters going, in which case you should be able to fill the tank with mostly new water.

Its only a 20min drive.. once I get to the new house ill just stick an airstone in where I have the fish until I get it set up

Thanks for the tip tho

Back
Top Bottom