Moving my fish tank (75 gallon)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Garbro

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am about to move my 75 gallon freshwater tank and I have a few concerns. First off where the tank is going to be is on a second story, I am worried about the weight. There is the tank, a 20 gallon sump, and a 5 gallon bucket for the ATO reservoir. I did a rough estimate and it all weighs around 1100 pounds. Second, I am worried about keeping all my BB alive. I plan on bringing a minimum of 40 gallons of water (8 buckets). Is that enough water from the previous location to keep the BB from dying off with all the new water? I don't plan on getting all of that water the same time that I take the tank down, I'm going to bring the buckets in separate trips. Does it matter how long those buckets sit before I put them in my tank with my fish?

I have my 75 on my second story in the middle of the house (as opposed to an outside wall) against a wall. It sits next to a 20g. My dog jumps up on it and puts his front feet nearly over the edge when he's thirsty and it hasn't fallen. (Hes also not allowed to be around it unattended and we had to add a water bowl in front of it for him. Lol) As for the BB, as I understand it most of the BB lives on the surfaces as opposed to the water. I would either lwave a half inch of water tl cover the substrate or put the substrate in a bucket submerged. Same for filter media, remove it from the filter and keep it submerged. The issue with changing water, if you're moving houses is the faucet parameters.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Faucet parameters as far as pH and hardness? So if it is similar I don't need to worry about losing my BB to different water then. And if it is different I should acclimate them?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yup, the BB shpuld be okay as long as the water is dechlorinated. No different from doing a lsrge scale water change. The difference in the water might matter to the fish if it is big enough. Just would need to acclimate them.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

When I moved my tank I put the fish in a rubber maid with a bubbler. I used a submersible pump to keep the old water and topped off with the tap. It's was like doing a water change.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Think I have it under control now... Just worried about going through a cycle, daily water changes for a 75 would be a nightmare. You guys think that weight shouldn't be a problem then?

Think I have it under control now... Just worried about going through a cycle, daily water changes for a 75 would be a nightmare. You guys think that weight shouldn't be a problem then?

Put it perpendicular to the floor joists and it should be okay.

How do I tell what way the floor joints are going?

How do I tell what way the floor joints are going?

That is a little tricky. The shortest run will likely be it, our the shortest run of the house with load bearing walls. Brookster123 is a carpenter I believe, so he might be able to help more, send him a PM.

That is a little tricky. The shortest run will likely be it, our the shortest run of the house with load bearing walls. Brookster123 is a carpenter I believe, so he might be able to help more, send him a PM.

That's correct that the shortest runs are typically the direction the joists travel. You can get a visual if you have access to a basement or attic. So you would want the tank perpendicular to the joists. Load bearing walls are typically the outside walls and generally equal divisions (1/3's, 1/4's) of the longest run in the structure as well as the centerline. Sometimes predictable by the longest wall, having a doorway, on the short span of the structure, but not always the case.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Here is the floor plan and the blue/black square is where my tank is going. Pretty confident that it will be fine there. The right floor plan is the loft/3rd floor, the right is the 2nd floor.

http://i.imgur.com/fgCc1wR.jpg

For anyone that helped, I moved the tank and it turned out ok. Got rid of the sump to reduce weight.

Thanks all!!

Over the summer I was a carpenters apprentice. The house i helped build had joist perpendicular to load bearing walls, it is the same case in my house.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom