Moving out of state

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Donavin

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey AA family. I'm planning to move soon and I'm trying to figure out the best way to transport on 55g tank. I have 8 guppies, 6 neon tetra, some ghost shrimp and guppy fry. The tank does have live plants and a sand bottom. The trip will prolly take 2 days so I was thinking that I can transport the fish in a 5g bucket with a battery powered aerator then putting the filters in a separate bucket with water from the tank. Once I get to my destination I plan to use freshwater dechlorated of course put my filters back in and pour the water that the filters were transported in into the tank.

I am hoping the process will kick start the BB process and cycle the tank quickly. Am I on target here or is there a better way to make this move as I really don't want to start completely over.

IF possible, and you are guaranteed to arrive within 2 days to your new location!:) Ship your own fish.........lol;) Just make sure to insulate well, and use heat packs, and O2.:) That is prob. the easiest method by far and the least amount of hassle. IF its too cold, I'd suggest skipping shipping.

Then I'd just do what you were initially planning which should work out fine. If possible, maybe try doing 1G water changes in the car ride using dechlorinator, might help. good luck!:) if i may ask, where are you moving and from where?

Sounds like you planned and thought this out. What you have planned will work fine. Battery air pump is the key. Your temps should not drop to bad as long as you keep them in inside the car. Wrap the bucket with a blanket to insulate it for the trip. I don't see any reason why they won't make it.
Just do not feed them for the 2 day trip.

tmfish said:
Sounds like you planned and thought this out. What you have planned will work fine. Battery air pump is the key. Your temps should not drop to bad as long as you keep them in inside the car. Wrap the bucket with a blanket to insulate it for the trip. I don't see any reason why they won't make it.
Just do not feed them for the 2 day trip.

Is the reason for not feeding the their poop?

TheFishBoss97 said:
IF possible, and you are guaranteed to arrive within 2 days to your new location!:) Ship your own fish.........lol;) Just make sure to insulate well, and use heat packs, and O2.:) That is prob. the easiest method by far and the least amount of hassle. IF its too cold, I'd suggest skipping shipping.

Then I'd just do what you were initially planning which should work out fine. If possible, maybe try doing 1G water changes in the car ride using dechlorinator, might help. good luck!:) if i may ask, where are you moving and from where?

Fishboss I'm moving from st. Louis, mo to savannah, ga

Good luck to you! Everything sounds well, I would say you should pick up a styrofoam container also. Even with Savannah being further south, it's still cold down there for a fish. You will most likely still have a small cycle, or really just your parameters off a bit for the first week or two as everything settles in. After that, everything should be set.

Back
Top Bottom