moving w/ fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

birdma

Aquarium Advice Regular
My family is moving from Virginia to New Mexico in about a month and even though my MIL offered to take our guppies I'd rather bring them w/ us. I'm thinking the drive will be take us ~4 days. What's the best way to move them so they aren't under too much stress? TIA.

you could use some heat packs with a insulated box or bucket and a air pump that runs on a battery

When I moved from TX to NY I got a 12v dc to 110v ac converter for my car, setup a 2 gallon jug with filter and heater and my daughters goldfish made the 5 day voyage just fine. Just can't put the setup in the trunk due to temperature issues, gotta keep it in the main cab.

I'm also looking potentially moving soon. Possibly trading the west coast for east in the next year, and have been contemplating the move. I think the majority of my fish are going into a 5-Gal water bottle (like from a office water dispenser, i.e. Culligan's, etc.) My thought process is it can be filled really close to the top minimizing virtually all thef road slosh in the process. A container full of liquid transfers almost no inertia into the liquid (if you've ever tried spinning a raw egg, you know what I am talking about). The top will be relatively easy to cap, while allowing air tube to be introduced, will accomodate quite a few fish for a few days anyhow. Start by transferring tank water, then performing SWC's each day on the road, pumping out waste materials. Maintain temperature with vehicle's heating/cooling system, and cover with a towel to keep from over-stimulating the fish, or exposing to sunlight, which can elevate the temperature in reatively sealed/covered water really quickly.

Back
Top Bottom