Multiple plecos?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Satchel_Paige

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently took on a few rescue fish as a friends tank cracked and he needed a place to keep the fish so they wouldn't die. I currently have 3 tanks set up and was able to appropriately accommodate all of his fish. My question is that when we went to put his albino longfin bristlenose pleco into my tank, it and my regular bristlenose pleco seemed to be bouncing off of each other and circling on the glass. This worried me so I transferred the albino to a second tank. I already have a clown pleco in there and have not seen any issues thus far. Unfortunately, I also have a Columbian Zebra Pleco on the way and am now worried about aggression with them. The tank is a 52 gallon flat back hex with 2 large pieces of driftwood, a piece of spider wood and about 5 rock caves along the back wall. I had also hoped to pick up a queen arabesque pleco and a blue panache pleco and potentially one more species of pleco. Planned on my 29 gallon keeping the clown, bristlenose and queen, and the 52 gallon keeping the Columbian zebra, the blue panache, starlight and either a flash or phantom pleco. With my heavily planted tank will this be an issue or should I cut down the number of plecos I'm going to have? Thank you for the help.

The bio load is huge with plecos so you better have a huge filter and good cleanliness ??

Sent from my iPhone using my fat fingers covered in chocolate...

I've got two aqua clear 70s running and do once weekly water changes now in the 52. Another aquaclear 70 in the 29. If and when I get the rest of the plecos may up it to two water changes a week.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My bn catfish have about a foot of floor space each but each have a hidey hole so only really squabble at meal times. Plenty of driftwood in there as well.

I got rid of mine, and I only had two. They were red marbles, and I gave them to a fish store for free because of all the poop! I could not believe the poop plecos put out. I was not willing to be cleaning my HOB filter thoroughly every 3 weeks just because of the plecos. It was unbelievable--never seen anything like it. Strings and strings of it. Every time I thought I got it all, I found more wads. Disgusting. Plus, my plecos got aggressive with other fish and chased them away from the food. So I had two main reasons to get rid of them even though I lost money. My sanity was more important though, lol.

Back
Top Bottom