My 120ltr planted freshwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IanC_

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

Just looking for some feedback on my 120ltr tank

Current stock:

1 white angle (4 inches)
4 tiger barbs
5 neon tetras
5 zebra danios
1 pleco ( about 9 inches)

Many freshwater plants and bogwood

Equipment:

120ltr jewel tank (internal filter removed)
Fluval 105 external filter
Fluval heater
Koralia 1 powerhead
1 T8 planted bulb

This tank I up and running over a year an have only lost 2 neon tetras an 1 zebra danio

All feedback will be much appreciated!

Attachments

• image-3713518968.jpg
    image-3713518968.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 75
I would seriously up the tiger barbs. Maybe get another 4-6. When not kept in large groups, their aggression can be towards other fish, especially long finned fish like angels. In a large group their nips are mainly kept within the shoal, towards other tiger barbs.

Hey yeah I thought of this when I purchase my barbs first but they are now in the tank about a year together and there is no a problem with either of them nipping! They keep to themselfs just like the angel does!

Regards to up the tiger barbs I have also considered this however I feel I'm at the max capacity of my tank at the moment they seem to be doing great!!!

OK great! Usually people aren't that lucky with tiger barbs. And as for your capacity, that's fine. I was kind of guessing because I don't know how many gallons your tank is.......

Yeah iv read a lot about people's barbs being extremely aggressive however mine seem to be fine!
My tank is 120ltr which is about 30gallons

IanC_ said:
Yeah iv read a lot about people's barbs being extremely aggressive however mine seem to be fine!
My tank is 120ltr which is about 30gallons

OK, then yes you are fully stocked. Actually, maybe overstocked. Do you know if your pleco is a common? If it is, you probably have to find a bigger home for it as they grow to 2 feet long. I really wish I could have the same luck with the tiger barbs. I love them, they're so active, I just don't want my other fish to be nipped at, and if I get a large school there goes a great portion of my stocking capacity.....

To be honest I am not sure what type of pleco it is, it kinda has leapord print scales but the print changes depending on what surface its on, (maybe u know what type from this description) it's grown to that size in about a year I got it when it was about 1.5 inches and is now 9 inches! I feed it algae wafers and fresh cucumber!

Have you any comments on the habitat iv set up ie is it the right aquascape for the fish I have as this is my first tank 1 year old and considering iv only lost 3 fish in that space of time I feel it's close to perfect! However if uv anything to add I'd appreciate it!

Oh, I'm the last person you would want to aqua scape a tank. As for the pleco, I'm not sure but I *think* it could be a common. Those things get huge. If you still want a pleco, you could get a bristlenose, as those only get to 4-5 inches. I'm getting one for my 30 gallon as I love plecos but don't want one two feet long. Hope this helps.

Oh haha ok ok I won't ask ya on aquascaping! Yeah my pleco seems to be doing great at the moment coming out in the evening an at night and will lay in a dark place during the day he's pretty cool tho!

yeah, plecos are cool. At least in the case of commons, though, they become progressively less cool as they become rulers of the tank at 2 feet long. Commons also can become aggressive when they get large, and that is especially bad with small fish like neon tetras. I urge you to find a bigger home for the common and get a bristlenose. They're awesome! Oh, and just to make sure yours is a common, search up some pics and see if they match. But by your description, though, I think it probably is.

Back
Top Bottom