My dwarf gourami died :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chris22 said:
What is drip acclimating? I'll do it that way in the future. And none of the store water got in my tank I ain't falling for that one lol.

And I added the dechlorinator before I added the water I only added about double the amount of what I was replacing tho, should I add more now? And I checked my temp after refilling and it knocked it down by 1 or2 is that bad??

Are you using like a garden hose, or is it water coming from your faucet? I don't know what dechlorinator you're using, but I'm not sure all are as efficient as Prime and allow you to safely add raw tap water without dechlorinating it first. If it does...add enough of it based off the total volume of your tank, not just what you're removing. So, if you have a 40 gallon tank and are replacing 20 gallons, you'd still dose enough to treat the entire 40 gallons.

There's some good drip acclimating tutorials on YouTube which would show you better than I could explain it. Normally it's only for SW or very sensitive fish...but it doesn't hurt if you want to do it.

eco23 said:
Are you using like a garden hose, or is it water coming from your faucet? I don't know what dechlorinator you're using, but I'm not sure all are as efficient as Prime and allow you to safely add raw tap water without dechlorinating it first. If it does...add enough of it based off the total volume of your tank, not just what you're removing. So, if you have a 40 gallon tank and are replacing 20 gallons, you'd still dose enough to treat the entire 40 gallons.

There's some good drip acclimating tutorials on YouTube which would show you better than I could explain it. Normally it's only for SW or very sensitive fish...but it doesn't hurt if you want to do it.

Its both lol, It's a garden hose connected to my faucet. The dechlorinator I use is called tetra aquasafe, from reading the back of the bottle it looks like it does quite alot but it would say that lol. I'll add abit more of it now tho, it does say I can add it straight into the tank.

Thanks I'll check those videos out.

I think most fish deaths that seem to happen randomly can be explained 1 of 2 ways.

Old age or a drastic change in osmotic pressure.

Tarkus2112 said:
I think most fish deaths that seem to happen randomly can be explained 1 of 2 ways.

Old age or a drastic change in osmotic pressure.

What about diseases?? What is osmotic pressure? Do u think this was the cause of my gourami dying?

Chris22 said:
What about diseases?? What is osmotic pressure? Do u think this was the cause of my gourami dying?

Don't worry dude. You acclimated him fine (so no problem there)...and I sincerely doubt the fish was so old it keeled over just by chance when you got him. Many fish are just weak from the pet store because they've been in boxes getting shipped all over the country (or from overseas), when they arrive they're starving, the get thrown into a tank many times with incompatible fish, then when they finally get to your home after all that they can simply be weak. It's nothing you did wrong and these things just happen.

They are such nice fish. I feel the same way though! I saw a single cardinal tetra that looked soooo scared by itself in a tank with other random fish at my lfs. I had to buy him because I felt so bad. Now he is happily schooling with my other cardinal tetras and he has regained his color! I think you should get another one they are such cool looking fish and I want one!

eco23 said:
Don't worry dude. You acclimated him fine (so no problem there)...and I sincerely doubt the fish was so old it keeled over just by chance when you got him. Many fish are just weak from the pet store because they've been in boxes getting shipped all over the country (or from overseas), when they arrive they're starving, the get thrown into a tank many times with incompatible fish, then when they finally get to your home after all that they can simply be weak. It's nothing you did wrong and these things just happen.

Gdgd was starting to worry lol. :) all the other fish are doing great, looks like there enjoying there nice safe an healthy home :)

Chris22 said:
Gdgd was starting to worry lol. :) all the other fish are doing great, looks like there enjoying there nice safe an healthy home :)

I'm glad to hear that. :). Don't let anything stress you out. This is the time to enjoy the fruits of your labor. :)

User said:
They are such nice fish. I feel the same way though! I saw a single cardinal tetra that looked soooo scared by itself in a tank with other random fish at my lfs. I had to buy him because I felt so bad. Now he is happily schooling with my other cardinal tetras and he has regained his color! I think you should get another one they are such cool looking fish and I want one!

Nice one on the rescue :) I'm going to another fish store this Saturday, last time I went there, the conditions were by far the best I've seen at a pet store it's just a longer drive from home, hopefully they will have some nice looking healthy dwarfs there. I'll try get a pic of the catfish they got there aswell, it is huge, ten years old I think it was, and if I remember correctly said it can live up to 100, dunno how true that is but WOW!

eco23 said:
I'm glad to hear that. :). Don't let anything stress you out. This is the time to enjoy the fruits of your labor. :)

I sure am enjoying watching the fish, there getting used to the tank now so seeing more of there real behaviour and personality, the shrimp are cool 2. :fish2::dance:

Back
Top Bottom