My shrimp had babies, now what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxkitzoxx

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
A few weeks ago I bought a handful of ghost shrimp to be a little cleanup crew for my betta tank and today I can see little baby shrimps!!
IMG_1226.jpg

What can I do to help them survive?

There are microscopic white bug things that cling to the glass and float around in the water, maybe the babies will eat those?

I put a sponge over the filter intake so no babies would get sucked in.

They have lost of silk plants and decorations to hide in.

My betta isn't too interested in the adult shrimp unless they come onto his betta leaf then he tries to attack them, otherwise he just kind of swims up to them and the shrimps back away. But he may eat a baby if he happens to see one swim by?

I dont have an extra place to put the babies so this tank is the best I have.

Is there something more I can do to help them?

I recently had this happen too! They are cute little guys aren't they!? Unfortunately from what I have researched, there isn't much more you can do. Putting the sponge on the filter will help. From what I found Ghost Shrimp do not eat their young, but your beta will probably eat some of the babies. The shrimp babies are also supposed to be in brackish water. (Slightly salted water) This would have to new pure salt, you can't use your normal table salt. (Just so you know) Also your beta and shrimps will eat those little white bugs. Those are a sign of a healthy cycled tank! Nice work!

I recently had this happen too! They are cute little guys aren't they!? Unfortunately from what I have researched, there isn't much more you can do. Putting the sponge on the filter will help. From what I found Ghost Shrimp do not eat their young, but your beta will probably eat some of the babies. The shrimp babies are also supposed to be in brackish water. (Slightly salted water) This would have to new pure salt, you can't use your normal table salt. (Just so you know) Also your beta and shrimps will eat those little white bugs. Those are a sign of a healthy cycled tank! Nice work!

Thank you!! Although I think I have the freshwater type of shrimp since the lps i got them from only held freshwater, so I wouldnt see why the babies would need brackish. I read that adding salt to the fw shrimp would kill them so I may not do that..

I think I'll just wait and see what happens since they have food and shelter
They're in a 20 gallon with only one betta and he only pecks around when i havent fed him in a few hours or if im trying to look at the shrimps. He gets jealous i think. lol

I found the little baby again today he is hard to spot! He is eating algae off of some decor! Woo!

Theyre so hard to find but I found 2!!

IMG_1268.jpg
IMG_1274.jpg

Heres the tank theyre in if you were wondering!
IMG_1280.jpg

Is it possible those little white things are the baby shrimp? I had the adult with a bunch of pink stuff under the front of the body and now I have about a dozen little white things crawling on the algae on the back glass of my tank. I don't see anything else in my tank that could be the baby shrimp.

Also, I only have a few guppies in my tank, but I remember back when I kept fish for years that you could ad a little aquarium salt to a freshwater tank and it was good for the fish. Would the shrimp need that level of salt added or something of a higher concentration?

Back
Top Bottom