My water parameters need some advice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ammonia is 0, nitrate is 10, nitrite is 5, chlorine is 0, alkalinity is 90 and pH is 6.5

Sent from my RCT6691W3 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Clarity of the water doesn't actually mean much as far as the chemistry of it since the nitrites and ammonia are invisible to us. My water was crystal clear but parameters we're way off. 30% WC is a good idea and then recheck your chemistry in an hour or so after and see where your at.

Tested water again today after 20 % water change and my nitrite was .5 still can't seem to get it to 0 yet

Tested water again today after 20 % water change and my nitrite was .5 still can't seem to get it to 0 yet

When you do a water change you can calculate how much your parameters will change.

If you have 1ppm of nitrites and do a 50% water change then it will drop by half. So that would put your nitrites down to 0.5ppm

However, doing a 20% water change on a tank with 0.5ppm of nitrites will only decrease the nitrite concentration by 20% which will put it at 0.4ppm which is too small of a change to detect.

Thats the reason i dont bother with less than a 50% water change, it just doesnt make much of a difference by doing less.

OK thanks for the tip I'll do a 50% water change tonight . it won't slow down the cycle by doing such a big water change?

OK thanks for the tip I'll do a 50% water change tonight . it won't slow down the cycle by doing such a big water change?

Nope, won't slow it down. As long as there is a detectable level of ammonia or nitrite then theres plenty of food for bacteria.

I just want to say thank you for all the advice, tested my water today after daily water changes for a week and my nitrites are at 0 ppm. Does this mean my tank is fully cycled?

Back
Top Bottom