My yabby molted *put in pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

obedey

Aquarium Advice Activist
my yabby just molted today or last night. You full can't tell when there about to molt. It wasn't moving much for a while but some times they just do that anyway. Anyone else keep yabbies???? I'm planning to breed mine soon and am wondering if anyone has had any luck.

I decided i wanted to look closer at the shell so i took it out of the water. Theres all these little sacs in the tail. Took me forever to get the air out of them and make it sink again. Shes moved the shell around the tank a bit so i think she could be eating it. I heard sumwer that they eat the shells so i better leave it in.

Heres sum pics
shell000_11271-1.jpg

000_1125-1.jpg

Cherax destructor .....

"Undoubtedly, the most adaptable species of Cherax is the common eastern states Yabby or Cherax destructor (species-named because it burrows sideways through soft irrigation channel banks and lets the water out). It is found in a very wide range of habitats: from hot waterholes in central Australia, to cold lakes and permanent streams near Mt Kosciusko in the Great Dividing Ranges and from southern Victoria and SA to southern NT and SE Qld. It has a number of closely related sister species of yabbies, such as our white yabbie. Some taxonomists are arguing whether or not our Yabby is really a different species. In any case, yabbies are remarkable animals."

from http://www.fish.wa.gov.au/aqua/broc/aquainfo/aqinfo01b.html

This might be more reader friendly. Is is a road test of pets form an Aussie TV show.
http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/20...ysource_site_extension=printer_friendly_pages

In an odd coincidence, mine decided to (for the first time) go walkabout late last night....found him tucked into a corner of the upstairs bathroom this morning...he was none too amused to see me, but came along quietly.

Back
Top Bottom