Mysterious SHRIMP Death!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squareheads

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay soo, I was wondering if you guys have any input on what has happened

I come home from doing my finals, and I eat, watch some tv, and check out my tank

all are well... all are alive and moving... then I take a nap

next thing you know one of my Flower Shrimps had died! He was alive just
an hour ago.... I checked my water parameters, their all Good ammonia is at 0... I have no idea what coulda caused this... and he just recently molted...
anyone have an input?

*tank setup refer to *My Tanks*

Possibly harassed by the RTS or BGK. They may be stressed from being in a bit too small of a tank for them.

hmmm... well i've never seen such behavior, but it is a great possibility... But my RTS and BGK have been swimming fine with the other fishes, and to be more specific my Ghostknife tends to stay away from most the fishes..... maaaan... I thought i'da died of old age. But im starting to get fishy... ><

thanks for input...

Is this the tank that just recently cycled? I'd guess that in addition to the issues that the stock list presents, your shrimp may have starved. They are filter feeders and won't fare well in an immature system IME.

hmmm... I see, so I guess its my fault I didn't get nee food for them?

but everytime I see them, they eat all the time... What kind of food do they eat?

Agreed... But the problem is... how do I research what to buy, if i don't know whats in stock in my LFS cause I don't think I would get a drive there just to look at wats in stock due to gas prices, and most of their new fish disappear in a week >< . . .

Awww... the age old fish fanatic question. I have bought several fish that I didn't KNOW I wanted until I actually SAW them. The advice is good though and what I try to do is to do some broad research about my current tank and what inhabitants might work with them. Knowing the method that the animals feed is definately an important thing to be aware of. That's a question everyone should ask if they're not sure about every animal purchased IMO. Of course a good LFS would have let you know they were filter feeders best kept in well established tank, but don't get me started on that rant. ;)

By "well established", I mean probably planted and stable for at least 6 months. Those shrimp feed on microfauna and flora that just don't seem to appear before that. You can feed them with green water, but just like clams they can be difficult to keep longterm.

Back
Top Bottom