mysterious shrimp disappearances

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tostada

Aquarium Advice Freak
For some reason, when I was about half-way through cycling my 30 gal, I thought it would be a good idea to get a 3" Koi. It promptly ate 14 ghost shrimp in 4 days, and was a general spaz, so I took it back.

That was a month ago that I took the Koi back and got 8 ghost shrimp. Two have gotten very large, but one goes missing about once a week. In the past 24 hours I went from 5 shrimp to 4. I noticed a small strand of something in the tank that looked more like shrimp than poo, and counted the shrimp and another was gone.

I really didn't think there was much in the tank that would eat shrimp. When I put them in there, there was nothing but 3 danios and a betta. Now there are no danios, but there is the betta, 6 swords, a gourami, and 5 panda corys.

I guess the gourami could eat a shrimp, but he doesn't really seem very fast, and the shrimp were disappearing before I added him (he's only been in there 3 days).

Could the shrimp be eating each other?

Two of my shrimp have a sortof milky look to them. Is this what they look like before they molt? Maybe they molt at night and the fish all eat them?

I just don't get it. The shrimp are all at least 1.5" long. I'm surprised anybody in there could eat one fast enough for me to miss it.

They turn a opaque white as they are molting. You should have plenty of hiding places for them when the molt, since this is when they are most vulnerable. I have read (and currently do) add marine iodine to my tank, at half recommended dosage. It's supposed to help harden the new exoskeleton for them.

Seeing as glass shrimp cost about $0.20 and I'm feeding my fish frozen shrimp already ... I guess it's not a problem. I'd still like to see who's doing it, though.

I've been thinking of putting a 5.5 gal. next to my bed. Maybe I could just put tiny shrimp in there then move them to the big tank when they get big.

i never had any problems with fish eatting my shrimp until i got kissing gouramis, moonlight gouramis, and a BGK

no matter how many shrimp i restock, i always end up finding them in dead or missing, and ive gone through 30+ shrimp in 2 weeks

the only shrimp that seem capable of surviving the genocide are, a neocardina shrimp, and is twice the size of a normal ghost shrimp, who someone at pet supplies plus accidentaly put in with the ghost shrimp, and a tiny baby ghost shrimp, who'm i only see once a week.

if anything fish dont touch the first batch of shrimp, figuring that if they ignore them, you'll think you have the go ahead to buy more... they're smart like that

I just found a 5th tiny shrimp hiding behind my heater. Still, there are definitely fewer shrimp than I had a month ago.

Back
Top Bottom