Mystery Snail Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theotheragentm

Aquarium Advice Addict
I wanted to get a couple of these snails for my tank. They are quite interesting to watch and I know they can snack on algae. Assuming no other food is planned to be fed to them, would algae have to be visible for them to have a good food supply? I have a friend who has a tank and the snails pretty much cleaned out his algae, but he's worried about their food now. Since I was planning to do soething similar, I was wondering how they feed and any special care for the snails.

Since they cleaned out my tank & have been multiplying (I do scrape most egg sacks when I find them), I do toss them an algae wafer now & then. I toss it in at night, they're all over it next AM.

I have grown very attached to our golden mystery snail and plan to get a few more. I have read many times over the alge is not the only thing you should let them feed on. They love veggies (lettuce leaves etc). They will eat left over flake food on the bottom and other foods. Ours cleans up the flake food and will actually come from across the 55gl tank and kick the pictus cats off their sinking tropical pellets. He LOVES those pellet foods. The pictus are not happy to see a snail slither onto their dinner and sit on it. When the snail leaves its gone. LOL

We have a newer tank and he does go to town on the sides and all over but just in case I toss him in half a alge waffer every other day or so to make sure he is getting enough. I know his eating habits very well and we have it down. He doesn't leave left overs. If I threw a whole waffer in half of it would sit and rot. He wont finish it later on either.

Two good sites.

http://www.applesnail.net/
http://www.rainbowsnails.com - sells good quality snail food and good information on snail keeping.

I read that the main cause of death in mystery snails is starvation, and I'd believe that - they really do "pack it in". They should be fed on a regular basis. I have 20 in my 35G (half will be relocating to other tanks in a month or so) and feed them 6 sinking pellets for bottom feeders each day, along with whatever food sinks to the bottom after the other fish have eaten, plus they get fresh veggies (blanched and peeled peas, blanched zucchini or yellow squash) 2 - 3 times a week.
To make a long story short - they need to be fed and not left to "fend for themselves" as they can starve to death. And of course, variety is the spice of life :)

Back
Top Bottom