Need fish suggestions for 30 gal community

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wingspantt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone, it's been a while since I've been on here, but most of my fish have lived so long there's been no need to ask this kinda question.

Unfortunately a few of my aquatic pals have bit the dust. Or the gravel. Or whatever it is they bite when they die. So I have a little more "space" in the tank and was looking for suggestions.

Currently I have:

• 1 African Leaf Fish (brown spotted), 4.5"
  • 2 Ghost Catfish, 3" each
  • 4 Black Skirt Tetras, 2" each
  • 1 Silver Molly, 2.5"
I don't want to overstock the tank but by "inches of fish" rules I guess I have about 9 inches of fish left. The fish that died were another Molly and a Tetra.

The tank is 30 gallons, with live plants (various low-mid light plants). Water is fairly hard.

Basically I'm looking for something that won't eat these fish or won't be eaten by them. The ALF is a little bully but never in any serious way. Some fish I was considering:

• 1 or 2 angel fish, though I don't know what kind. Are they agressive?
  • Some kind of smaller bottom swimmer... suggestions?
  • Preferably I don't want more mollies, these fish are too stupid for me to respect them in the long term
Thanks ahead of time for your help!

Well, I have learned that the inch per gallon rule is pure rubbish. There are so many more things to consider than that. In your 30 gallon you obviously couldn't put in a 30 inch fish! See?

I would recommend getting at least one more tetra, preferably two. The ghost catfish are schooling also but I don't know if a 30 gallon could support a school of them. Small bottom swimmers would be corys. Get about 5 of them. They are fascinating fish. I am not sure if an angelfish would work in there.

Maybe 2 Angels or 1 Blood Parrot, or a school of Cories.

Neither blood parrots or a pair of angels should be kept in a 30g long term. The latter gets far too large and the former gets too aggressive/large.

Neither blood parrots or a pair of angels should be kept in a 30g long term. The latter gets far too large and the former gets too aggressive/large.

Okay, got any suggestions otherwise?

Also no offense to cory lovers but I think those fish are really ugly.

Hey everyone, thanks for your input so far!

Bump for other suggestions?

How about dwarf neon rainbow or maybe some rasbora hengali small but fun to watch

Back
Top Bottom