Need to cut filter flow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

millerb7

Aquarium Advice Activist
My 5 gallon with my beta and 3 ghost shrimp needs to have the filter flow cut down. It's blowing the guy all over the place.

Any thoughts/suggestions on doing this? I'm sure some folks have done it before.

Just glue/tape it on? Or did it hold there by itself? I tried a few things but of course the water flow just pushes them out of the way. I had to leave for work so didn't get to try much.

Also, should I just leave it off? I figure that having it on is better than not... but the current is way to strong. I just thought having it on would save me some water changes... but if that's what I gotta do that's what I gotta do.

What type / brand of filter is it? It will be easier to suggest fixes if we know what the filter looks like / how it works.

What does your water level look like? I've found that the farther the water has to "fall" from the exit of the filter to the surface of the tank water - the more current it creates.

If raising the water level wouldn't help, you could try looking into getting an internal filter. There are fairly good small filters that sit inside the tank and don't produce a lot of current.

What does your water level look like? I've found that the farther the water has to "fall" from the exit of the filter to the surface of the tank water - the more current it creates.

If raising the water level wouldn't help, you could try looking into getting an internal filter. There are fairly good small filters that sit inside the tank and don't produce a lot of current.

I thought that to. The water is actually literally at the lip where the water drops from... so there is 0 drop. It's just "pushing" out from the lip and still it swirls the little guy around something fierce if he gets in front of it.

If I leave it off I notice the shrimp are more active too... but with the current they tend to cling to a rock and hide most the time and the beta doesn't really come over to the one side of the tank with the current... limiting his 5 gallons quite a bit.

That definitely looks like it would work. You could also do that (with a filter media bag) on the actual intake of the filter - and that would also prevent any baby shrimp from getting sucked up.

I had the same issue with my AquaClear HOB. This is what I did: How to get rid of those tiny bubbles from HOB filters It works very well!!
That's a fantastic idea.
That definitely looks like it would work. You could also do that (with a filter media bag) on the actual intake of the filter - and that would also prevent any baby shrimp from getting sucked up.

There is already a little "cage" around the intake... but I could just remove it and try the media there instead.

I'll give both a try when I'm off work today. Thanks guys for the input... you'll make my beta a much happier camper.

librarygirl said:
I had the same issue with my AquaClear HOB. This is what I did: How to get rid of those tiny bubbles from HOB filters It works very well!!

I am looking to turn my 10gal into a Betta/ADF tank once I rehome the one oh so lonely head light tail light tetra to my 55gal with new buddies in a few weeks. If all goes well (the tetras happy, new Betta doesn't pick on ADFs etc.) than I was going to face the same issue. This looks like a great fix! Can you post back if you use this method and let me know how well it works?

Okay, so I cheated. Instead of doing it that way, I just didn't like the HOB filter for the 5 gallon and the Beta, since he's a labyrinth fish anyways.

I purchased the Tetra in-take filter for $10 at walmart (it says it's good for 2-10 gallons). The beta has INSTANTLY perked up. He can now swim the entire tank without getting blown around. He's loving it. He's all over the place now instead of hiding in the bottom corner.

I'm much happier now that's he's happy.

My ghost shrimp seem to like it as well, they can get out and scavenge instead of hiding under the rock in fear of being blown around.

Back
Top Bottom