Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-25-2003, 11:29 AM   #11

Quote:
If you are setting a tank up on a budget, then I personally will suggest that you stick with the UGF you already have.

I agree with this. They do work, i just got rid of my last one just last week. While I do think many of us U.S. folks would argue against them, (including myself) I think being able to set up a new tank is more important. UGFs are not bad, just an old-scholl way of doing things. As Terry said many in the hobby swear by them and will stick by them.
Quote:
As for maintanance on them, i have never striped one down to get the crud from under the plate. What i do is put my syphon tube down my uplift tubes and draw all the sludge out that way, without disturbing the gravel.
This never really worked for me, and I tried it many times. Oh well.

If you feel the whole setup is a good deal, go for it. Insofar as a stand goes, I have 2 different 20 gallon tanks, both kept on sturdy tables. You may already own something suitable.

Flexibility is key when trying to get by on a tight budget in this hobby!
Old 10-25-2003, 11:42 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Terry Send a message via MSN to Terry
corvuscorax,
Quote:

As for maintenance on them, i have never striped one down to get the crud from under the plate. What i do is put my syphon tube down my uplift tubes and draw all the sludge out that way, without disturbing the gravel.

This never really worked for me, and I tried it many times. Oh well.
[/quote]

"I MUST HAVE THE KNACK" 27yrs of sucking on syphon pipes hahahahahahaha

But seriously Corvuscorax is right, if it is a tight budget then go with what you can afford. You can always improve on it later.

Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 11:42 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to Sinuhe
Hmm, well the plant thing is one more argument against the UGF, since I'm all for live plants, and this tank will be quite heavily planted, as well. If I decide to the get this tank, I'm going to toss the UGF and get a Fluval 2Plus internal power filter. I've got a Fluval on my other tank, and I like its look and features.

Well, my dad offered to make another stand without me even asking for it, so the stand problem is all set . It won't cost me anything . Handy, helpful dads are priceless .
Old 10-26-2003, 09:36 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to Sinuhe
OK, I bought it. Some corrections to what I told earlier: on closer inspection the tank wasn't exactly 80 liters/21 gallons. That was probably based on the rounded measurements taken from the outside the frame included. Based on actual inner measurements the capacity is more something like 63 liters/16 gallons, which is still fine to me. It's got a fluorescent light hood with one 15W tube. The heater is 50W, not 20 like he said on the phone. There is an air pump and an air stone that I don't need for now, but it's good to have in case I need one later, I've been thinking of getting one, anyway. There's a net, and an almost full bottle of dechlorinator. Gravel, an algae magnet, and some clutter I'm probably not going to need. And the UGF thing. Got it all for 70 Euros.

What I need to get now is the internal power filter, a new bulb for the light, and new gravel (I saw some nice looking gravel in a LFS recently that I prefer to the stuff that came with the tank). The total price for the setup is going to be something over 100 Euros, which isn't too bad, since I'm getting the stand for free, and most of the plants are going to be recruited from my other tanks.
Old 10-26-2003, 09:52 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Terry Send a message via MSN to Terry
Sinuhe,

Concrats on your new purchase, got a good price in the end well done. I wish you all the best on your new tank and keep us posted on what your doing.

Have fun.

Terry

Terry is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com