Neon tetras and single socks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joannde

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm wondering if neon tetras go to the same place that those single lost socks from the dryer go.

I'm now down to one poor lonely neon and I can't brng myself to get anymore. I apologized to the little guy and suggested he buddy up with the dwarf coral platy

Ya Know I was just wondering the same thing. Seriously though do you have a unknown predator in your tank. Can the neons fit into the mouth of one of the other inhabitants? I have asked myself this question several times and every time someone is to blame :evil:

No predators, just platies and panda cories. The largest of all those is only about 1 3/4 inches. I can't even blame the cat as I don't have one.
It has to be that the neons are with the socks ! LOL

The only thing i can imagine is that they other fish ate the remains before you noticed. Maybe cories eat bones like pigs do.

i would always know when one passed, as it would always be stuck to the filter intake tube. I only have one left, and just am not sure if i will purchase more.

of the 3 I found 2 the way you did hsherman - againt the intake of the filter. The third died right before my eyes during a water change !

neon tetras

Come to think of it, I have lost far more neons than socks. The last time all succumbed to neon tetra disease, and I had to take the darn tank apart to find them all!! Apparently, just like elephants, they go to a secret place to pass on. But, the curse may finally be broken!!!!!!! *he says, knowing full well he may be dooming every creature in the tank* I took a chance on 5 neons and 5 black neons when the local Petco ran a '5 for 5 bucks sale. They did so well, I added 5 more of each. One month later all look better than ever. Sometimes cheap is good!! lol

Ahh, it is just so very hard to find hardy neon stock. I went through a dozen from two different LFS's, before trying a third LFS. Third time was the charm. All survived. I figure the LFS I ended up with did not sell many neons, so that the tank they were in were already proven survivors, and I lengthened my acclimation period to make it more gradual. I would like some more, but I fear starting another tank die off if I get greedy.

I still have that one loney guy - and I feel SO bad for him. Petsmart has them on sale for $1 each and I'm SO tempted to try again so he can have some friends again, but I too am afraid of die offs. Since I have to go to Petsmart later today I'll probably not be able to resist .... sigh .... here we go again ? maybe not ! wish me luck

Back
Top Bottom