new 3 gallon...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fromthelbc

Aquarium Advice Freak
If i get a new 3 gallon, that comes with the safe-start bacteria, how long would i have to wait until i can put in my water, plants, and fish from my 1 gallon tank?

and would it be better for me to use distilled water?

you would want to put in your water the day you get the tank.. as far as how long it would take, would just depend on how you cycle the tank.. does the 1 gallon have the same filter as the 3 gallon? if so (i doubt it does) but you could use the same filter in your 3 gallon and just deal with a small mini cycle.

Distilled water in a freshwater setup is a nono. minerals in the tap water are required for the fish to live healthy.

actually, it does come with the same filter, i just bought the filter for my one gallon a couple days ago, and i threw some tetra's in there... and now i want a bigger one...

id get them into the 3 gallon as soon as possible then... specially if you didnt cycle the 1 gallon tank. the more tank the better when using fish to cycle which you unfortunately are doing. id get the 3 gallon tank set up asap... and keep up on daily waterchanges of about a gallon or so. (will be work.. but it happens this way sometimes..)... What do you use to test your water with now?

id get them into the 3 gallon as soon as possible then... specially if you didnt cycle the 1 gallon tank. the more tank the better when using fish to cycle which you unfortunately are doing. id get the 3 gallon tank set up asap... and keep up on daily waterchanges of about a gallon or so. (will be work.. but it happens this way sometimes..)... What do you use to test your water with now?

the water in the one gallon is fairly decent, no ammonia and very little nitrates and nitrties... i have been changing the water in the one gallon, about half a liter(bottle of water) a day...

id let that one finish cycling since it is almost there.. while its cycling id start up a fishless cycle on the 3 gallon at the same time.

btw... ammonia isnt the only thing toxic to fish.. you also have to worry about nitrites (just as toxic) and nitrates are toxic over 40ppm.. just fyi..

so i decided i'd rather have the eclipse 6 gallon kit...

its like 50 dollars a wally-world...

If you are going to use plants most plants do fine with cycling the only ones I have had problems is with is val it could be just me. The faster the growing plants the better for cycling. Let the tank cycle completely before adding fish. If your filter was well established do a silent cycle but I don't think it has been in there long enough to have enough bacteria.

I don't trust those cycling products, that is just me.
I see on your list of tanks you have an empty 10 gallon. Why? That is an nice size nano for plants and big enough for some smaller fish.

oh, i havent updated it... :D, i have like 30 guppies in it, and a 30 gallon rated filter on it... it's just a little too big for my desk... if i could have a 10 gallon tall tank, i'd use that, but i cant seem to find one anywhere...

Back
Top Bottom