new 30 gallon stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stacie3972

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am currently fishless cycling a 30 gallon tank and was wanting an angel fish when it's done what would be some other fish that would be good with it? I have read at least 20 charts that say what fish will go with what and there all different.

It really depends on what you are interested in.

Make a list for us on what you want, and we can tell you if it is a good fit or not! It is more fun for you to choose. That is the best part about this hobby. :)

Do you like Loaches, Corys, Rainbows, Tetras? The world is your oyster.

Stacie3972 said:
I am currently fishless cycling a 30 gallon tank and was wanting an angel fish when it's done what would be some other fish that would be good with it? I have read at least 20 charts that say what fish will go with what and there all different.

Since you want an angel I can tell you right off the bat that you should avoid tiger barbs all together, they will nip at your angels beautiful fins. Stay away from neon tetras unless you want your angel to have lunch available whenever it wants; once an angel ways big enough a neon will be seen as lunch and will be eaten. This could just be my angel, but I once got a flying fox
(which I absolutely loved!) but ended up returning because my angel stalked it and didn't leave it alone. I have an angel and I have cories (mixed species), albino pleco, giant danio (school of 5), a bolivian ram and a balloon Molly. They all get along great. You could do a school of bleeding heart tetras or bloodfin tetras as well

I was just reading the thread on rainbows and was very interested. Lol I love male guppies there so pretty. I am looking for a lot of color in this tank with a beautiful angel as the star. I also love male betas. And gromies. I also saw a fish I've never kept before and know nothing about but the killifish? I was doing some reading on them and that's where I was getting confused one site say it would live with angels one said no. And of course I would love discus but everyone is have looked at is out of my budget.

Each angel has it's own personality. Some mature and are fine with even the smallest fish, then others mature and give the word aggressive new meaning. I've kept angels for over 30 years and currently have 12 mature adults in a 220g heavily planted tank with mostly all small fish. What I can tell you is over the years I've found if you get a young angel/angels and raise them with the fish you choose you are less likely to have issues when they mature as they are used to the fish they have always been with. IMO fish that work well with angels are Rummynose and Cardinal tetras, yo-yo loaches, cory cats, whiptail cats, otos, Threadfin Rainbowfish, Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish, Honey Gouramis, Dwarf Gouramis, sometimes Pearl Gouramis. Other tetras that have worked are glowlight tetras, black neon tetras, congo tetras, and sometimes emperior tetras. Cherry barb will usually be okay with angels. German Blue and Bolivian rams work great with angels. And lastly Rainbowfish can be kept with Angels.

All that being said a 30g isn't overly large so a good stocking would be something like 1 angel, 6 cory cats, a honey or dwarf gourami, a school of 6-8 cardinal or rummynose tetras, 1 or a pair of German Blue Rams or Bolivian Rams (GBR's need to be added about 6 months after the tank is set up as they don't do well in new set ups, but Bolivians are much hardier), and maybe a longfin albino bristlenose pleco.

Thanks for all the help everyone. I definitely have a better idea what I need to have. Can't wait!

Back
Top Bottom