New 47 gallon stocking ideas.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caliban07

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have set up a 47 gallon. I was originally going to put 2 blue acara in it male and female.

I could still do that but my girlfriend recently commented 'that big tank for those 2 fish'? Now I'm beginning to wonder what to put in

I have already added a BN plec that was to go with the acara.

Can someone either convince me to carry on with my original plan or give some other ideas on what they would do.

I have the rio 180 with internal filter but I'm adding an eihem 2217 to run with it at Xmas. It have ultra fine gravel substrate and no plants.

Thanks

I was interested in a pair of blue acaras as well but in my research I saw a lot of negative feedback with housing anything with a pair in smaller tanks(less then 150g). I have read that they get extremely territorial when mating. Are you only interested in a mating pair? Would you be interested in a community South American cichlid tank? I have a ton of exp with that.

I was recommended acaras because they are small and easy to care for apparently and I was told they were not that aggressive. These would be the only 2 in the tank and I would have 1 male and 1 female.

Unless you can recommend anything else that would work in this tank. Otherwise I could just go with angels?

Are you interested in only mating pairs of any fish? Would you want a mixed tank of singular fish? Or are you going for breeding experience?

Ok, well then I would say just go with the acaras and see how they respond to the BN. Maybe they will be docile and then you could try a pair of rams too. Keyholes, festivum, and rainbows are all smaller cichlids that would be good for a 47.

Doubt it. Definitely not when they aren't mating. Even if they do bother it they will soon learn that there is no point in going after a Pleco haha. But you can gauge their aggression. If they go after the Pleco when mating then they will likely go after anything. If they don't bother it then you can build off of that. A school of penguin tetras might work, because they are fast and substantial in size. 6-8 would work fit nicely.

Back
Top Bottom