New 72 Bowfront... Now what.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sabbott1877

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just got a 72 bowfront, which I have been wanting for a long time.

I have it on the stand in the living room and now...

I am starting the process of deciding what to put in it, I am open to anyone's Idea of a perfect 72 gallon, just to get ideas in my head.

Dream away, and let the Ideas roll...

It depends on many factors. How much experience do you have? How much of an investment in time and money are you willing to expend?

I bit the bullet a few years back and went with discus. At times I regretted it but overall I've found them to be the most rewarding of species.

Ya,

Discus crossed my mind, but I don't have the time right now to care for such a sensitive species. I would say that I have a pretty good idea of what to do, and fishkeeping. I would not mind something a little difficult, if it was nice looking. I have some money to spend, and won't be stocking right away, or all at once, so that is not a huge deal. How difficult are discus really?

TIA
-Steve

I too am in the planning process, but have yet to get hte tank. I would like a 70 - 100 gallon tank, I think a planted community tank is what i am going to do. I think they are beautiful. Good luck wdith yours . Will be waiting for pictures

Tess

Are you wanting an aggressive tank or a community tank?

I suggest a planted community with 2 schools of fish, about 4 angelfish, some cories, otocinclus, a couple smaller plecos, and maybe a pair of rams. Planting the tank will mean investing in better lighting, assuming you have stock lighting. That may be a little pricey. I also suggest getting some Eco Complete. The black substrate makes the plants stand out nicely.

What kind of fish do you like? A 70g has alot of options! :D

Well,

I am actually in the process of starting a 20 gal med light planted community tank,

I also have a ten gallon med-low light planted tank with 2 firemouths,

my 29 gallon has oddball community fish,

so although I like the community fish I am thinking maybe something different, I am still considering a stocking list like the one you suggested onemore20.

-steve

The firemouths will eventually outgrow the 10g, so how about putting them in the 70 and getting few more fish to go along with them?

Or you could do an African Cichlid tank...that would be different than what you have now. Maybe some Tangs or Malawis?

I have heard that firemouths are a pain to keep with anything else, becuase they are aggressive. That is why they are in their own tank. How big do they get?

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile43.html
http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Fishindx/firemth.htm
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=65

According to these 3 sites, you are looking at 5.5-6 inches. But they are aggressive, especially when spawning. I'm not sure what tank mates you can keep with them, if any, but I do know that a 10g tank is too small. I'd go with a 30g atleast. Maybe even a 40g.

From what I've skimmed over in the last 5 mins, it seems that similar sized fish that aren't too aggressive can be kept with them. Maybe some Severums or Jack Dempseys? I just skimmed over the comments in the first link to see what people said about them.

Well, Thanks on the firemouth info... I will have to figure out what to do with them, but they are not what I was thinking of putting in my 72.

Any other ideas anyone?

how about a BGK, they get pretty big and would do well in your tank, do you have anything else in mind?

BGK, I see that all the time, what is that??

I really dont have any "big plan" for this tank, I just wanted to collect ideas, from people with experience, of things that would work, and look good in the tank. It is my first "larger" tank, and is in the living room (the others are in my BR). I just want a tank that looks really good, and isn't filled with fish that are going to kill each other.

Thanks everyone so far and those that will post later!

-Steve

BGK= black ghost knife. They are beautiful, but get very large. I don't know if one would outgrow a 72 bow or not- Hara has a big one and could probably advise there.

I agree that your Firemouths are going to outgrow your 10 gallon for sure. I have an adult FM and he is about 6 inches. He's a beautiful fish, but his personality is pure evil LOL. He fights with my severum and chases my convict (can't catch her though). If the aggression gets any worse I will have to find him another home. You could keep your firemouths in a 29 gallon; have you thought about moving your oddball community to the 72 and adding to it?

Would the BGK be okay with the oddball community, because I have been interested in them in the past... I just never put the initials together.

HMMM What to do....

My oddball community houses:

2 Giant denios
1 Tiger Botia
2 Glass Catfish - Wanted more but they only had 2
1 albino Rainbow shark
1 Rainbow shark
1 "butterfly" pleco - that is what I was told it was
1 Pink Kissing gourami, a small one
1 juvie Guppy/molly - I have an assortment of feeders and threw him in to see... no takers
I think thats it...

TIA
-Steve

BGKs are very skittish when younger, and therefore easily bullied. i could imagine your 6" firemouth poking at a 12 " BGK, and the BGK just turns around and shows your firemouth its abnormally large mouth.

ive never seen a BGK bigger than 4" in petstores, but they grow pretty fast (they must be fed a high protein diet such as frozen bloodworms or brineshrimp, no freeze dried)

one member reported their growing 2" in four months

BGKs also require places to hide, as they are mostly nocturnal

if your cichlids are real jerks, i wouldnt put a small BGK in with them

The cichlid was a meanie when I put him in the tank, but it seems that he has cooled off now.

If it happened, the BGK would go in the 72 with the Oddballs...

Thanks for the info.

I don't know if this would help you any but this is what I currently have in my 75 planted-

2 angelfish
1 RTB shark
2 albino kribs
2 normal kribs
8 serpae tetras
3 golden barbs
2 hatchets
2 odessa barbs

Ultimatly I would like to add-
2-4 GBR
5 cories
8-10 rummynose tetras