New angel- pics! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

severum mama

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've kind of gotten to know this angel, as it has been at the store since before I got my job. :D Tonight I decided against merging my 20 and 29 into my free 55 gallon, and instead decided to leave the 29 set up and just tear down the 20. I got the angel to live in my 29. I also got 3 little keyhole cichlids to grow out in the 29, but they're not posing tonight! :lol: The angel is about 3 inches tall and wide, minus fins. Pretty good deal for 10 bucks! 8)

Forgive the terrible pics, but here ya go:
img_709501_0_71406ab3a81ee5bf44829d1f92a5406d.jpg

img_709501_1_378e2393401c8d95d0b3fccf37ec4ec5.jpg

img_709501_2_df8ff25981ce352eface3b808b014942.jpg

LOL it's the only decent pic out of about 20!

Just fed the tank; not surprisingly, the angel didn't eat. Surprisingly, the keyholes did! Yay!

BTW, I have spare tanks available for when the keyholes grow out. Don't worry.

wow, looks great, that's one big angel! any mates for it in near future?

No way, I'm not going to push my luck! :lol: This guy/girl is big enough so that I might have some real attitude problems if I try to add another angel. Plus the tank is only 29 gallons, and I want to keep the angel in this tank for the long term. I am probably already overstocked as it is with these additions, but I just couldn't resist. I've been working at this LFS since mid-August, and I can't believe no one bought this angel. I think it is beautiful! :D

I didn't have much luck with my juvie angels (JC and Fluff, you'll remember what I'm talking about) so keep your fingers crossed for the new one. And cross your fingers again so that my one remaining Bolivian ram doesn't bully the keyholes too much. :roll:

I'm sure he/she is going to be fine. i'm yet to have an adult angel give up on me. the bolivian is probably going to leave the keyholes alone, except during the feeding times :).

The Bolivian has been chasing the new keyholes, just as I thought it would. I'll give it another day and then it might be time to rearrange some decor.

hmm, that's a bad bad bolivian! when i had them, they seemed to be the most well-behaved in the cichlid-world. even if there is some chasing, i'm sure its not physically damaging, other than a little stress on the poor new keyholes. maybe they'll all get along in the morning :).
OT, but do your bolivians leave the amano shrimp alone?

Hah, I haven't updated the "My Info" section in a looong time. Guess I should do that. :lol: The Amano shrimp were quite adept at hiding, as the tank is pretty heavily planted with anubias and java fern, and has some lace rock caves. They were unfortunately lost in the move from Bloomington to Louisville- we couldn't find them while we were draining the tank. The Bolivians never messed with them, since they spent most of their time chasing each other out of their territories (each had claimed half the tank). :roll: One of them died last weekend, so I guess the other one decided to take over the tank.

The only reason I'm somewhat worried about the keyholes is that they are smaller than the Bolivians.

sorry about the bolivian's loss. his presence would have curbed the other bolivian's aggressive tendencies a bit. still, the aggression would be spread over 3 keyholes, lowering stress.
i'm worried that the angels in my tank would pick off the amanos if i do get them. but enought hijacking :)....
enjoy the angel.

My angel ate this morning, so things are off to a good start!

It's possible that your angels would snack on amano shrimp, but the shrimp hide so much you wouldn't know it. It's pretty much impossible to get an accurate head count with those guys.

great news on the angel. i'm sure very soon he/she'd be the first to attack food, and beg the most (well, bolivians are great clowns when it comes to begging too).
thanks to you, i'm considering some amanos. but first i need some more plant cover.

Thanks everyone. I came home last night and fed the tank, and the angel was eagerly taking NLS small pellets and veggie flakes, and even tried to wolf down a whole shrimp pellet. That was really funny- I had thrown it in there for the pleco. The lone Bolivian (Itchy) seems to be behaving a little better toward the keyholes so at this point I'm feeling better about that.

Triazole- if you're considering shrimp, check out flower shrimp if you can find any. They are awesome! I bought one and it was so cool, but it died and I couldn't figure out why. Anyway, they are super cool to watch and get waaay bigger than amanos (but of course you could just keep both kinds).

Back
Top Bottom