Beat up Angel Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CcWebb

Aquarium Advice Newbie
2 tanks- 90 gal main community tank and new 20 gal breeding tank.

I transferred 2 baby Angel (they are both slightly larger than a quarter) to the main tank. One Angel fish got beat up pretty good, most of its fins were nipped away. I have it isolated in net-cage inside the main. It is still alive and has some fight in it, but it spends most of the time floating on its side. Now it appears a growth has developed on its side, it think it is the side constantly facing upwards.

Is there hope for this little fighter? Suggestions on nursing it back to healthy?

(Hopefully the 3 attached pictures are clear)

Attachments

• IMG_2083.jpg
    IMG_2083.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2082.jpg
    IMG_2082.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2081.jpg
    IMG_2081.jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 13
Clean water, stress free environment, none of that is going to happen in a main display tank. Get the fish on its own, somewhere you can do large regular water changes. Maybe a little aquarium salt to help prevent infection. 1 tablespoon for every 20 litres/ 5 gallons of water. Remember to redose a proportionate amount of salt with every water change.

What you need to know is which fish did this kind of damage? The reason to know is if it is even possible to return this fish to the main tank once/if it heals.

What you need to know is which fish did this kind of damage? The reason to know is if it is even possible to return this fish to the main tank once/if it heals.

It was one of the older angels. I made the rookie mistake and introduced the baby angels without distracting the older ones. (Like turning off the lights, feeding them, etc). There are two baby angels, one is doing very well but the second one, not so much.

It was one of the older angels. I made the rookie mistake and introduced the baby angels without distracting the older ones. (Like turning off the lights, feeding them, etc). There are two baby angels, one is doing very well but the second one, not so much.

Yeah, it's hit or miss when adding smaller Angels to a tank containing established Angels. Distractions don't always work. Even parent Angels have eaten their free swimming fry when they wanted to spawn again so no small Angel is 100% safe. Better to add Angels that are larger than the established ones than smaller ones. (y)

Back
Top Bottom