New angel question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ducatiman

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just bought these 4 large adult black veil angels. They arrived Thursday and slightly concerned as iv not seen them eating yet, and tried various foods. Any advice

Attachments

• image-3889069457.jpg
    image-3889069457.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 46
Try frozen bloodworms, if they won't eat those it's hopeless. I once had a large half black veil angel, then added some small tetras to the tank. The angel started eating them, so I isolated it in a net breeder thinking to give the tetras some time to grow larger. The angel refused to eat, even after it was released from the net, and starved to death. I was watching it one day, and saw the color start fading rapidly (less than one minute) from the edge of the caudal fin. When the color loss reached the actual tail the angel died.

if they are new to the tank, they are probably just stressed.

Are they swimming around? or hiding in the corner?

Also, what other fish do you have in your tank?
There could be another fish stressing them out.

Yikes. They are a bit shy, and sticking together. No other fish are bothering them though. They are swimming about and getting a bit less shy but still not eating.

just give them time.
Its not unusual for new fish to be a little stressed, especially within 24 hours after introducing them into the tank.

You got them on Thursday? so its only been a few days...which is normal.
If they refuse to eat after 1 week. That's when you should be concerned.

What size is your tank? And what fish do you have?
Another variable for fish not eating is poor water quality (high ammonia/nitrite, plus high nitrates!)

Tank levels are all fine. Other fish are some german blue rams, a pair of pearl Gouramis and a few silver dollars. Tank is a 40 gallon. Iv put lights of and dropped a little food over then and they took a couple of flakes as they dropped past their noses so fingers crossed.

I feed my angels every other day a product called freshwater frenzy they go nuts for it. It comes in frozen cubes made by Sallys San Francisco bay, they seem to like it way more than flakes. The place I bought my Angels from recommended it that's what they fed them, call up the place where u got them explain your dilemma and ask them what they fed them they should eat whatever they're used to then introduce new food to them later if you like once they're eating regularly! :)

if they took a little food they should be fine. turning out the lights can work wonders when you first introduce new fish. it gives them a chance to explore their new enviorment. also great advice from tigroscr. new food could be a problem but if they ate a bit tonight that's a good sign. i would do what tigroscr suggested and call the fish store to find out what they feed and get some.

Sounds like they're still a bit uncomfortable about the new environment, but they should settle in. The white gravel looks good, but most fish are more comfortable with a darker substrate. Angels are predators, and like some plants/cover as well.

Back
Top Bottom