New apisto rescape!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm no expert but based on what I've read and other more knowledgable members on here have told me, some dwarfs will adapt to whatever they're in, point and case.. My cac's are thriving in 7.5, they're about as easy as keeping apisto's get. The panduros are a bit more delicate, I'm guessing they're about as needy as rams.. Ive read their native waters are below 6 while the Lfs had them around 7.. I'd like to get them happy enough to breed, same with my new wild caught gbr's.. Luckily the aged water will serve me well in both setups so it justifies me throwing more time and $$$ at this little hobby of mine.. If you haven't kept apisto's I'd highly recommend starting with cac's, they're beautiful, easy and good community fish.. All around great fish!

Great thanks, I've kept gbr before that's the only kind I've had.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I had them for 7 months then rehomed them to my friend as my elephant nose wasn't playing nice. So I haven't kept them that long but enjoyed them when I had them.

I had them for 7 months then rehomed them to my friend as my elephant nose wasn't playing nice. So I haven't kept them that long but enjoyed them when I had them. Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
cool! That's a good run! I haven't had the best luck with them.. Than again I started with EBR's in an Uncycled 10 gal :hidehidehide: and my last gbr was unhealthy from day one.. I'm really trying to give the new pair a good run..

EBR are beautiful my lfs get's them in all the time. The most annoying thing about my rams was that they had paired! The colors on them were amazing.

Do apistos need a low ph? Interested incase i ever get some in the future.

Depends on the species most need lower than 7.0. Tank raised are less picky typically, apistogramma cacatuoides is the best most available that can handle more than other species.

Tank looks good can't wait to see them when they get this big!!! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399563216.338159.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399563233.144712.jpg

Ps plastic plants rule!

If I had a nickel for every mikrogeophagus ramirezi that died on me, I'd have a lot of nickels. But I can keep wc panduro alive no problem.....

Depends on the species most need lower than 7.0. Tank raised are less picky typically, apistogramma cacatuoides is the best most available that can handle more than other species.

Tank looks good can't wait to see them when they get this big!!! View attachment 236598View attachment 236599

Ps plastic plants rule!

Thanks, beautiful looking fish. How big do they grow?

Awesome!!! I can't wait until they look like that!! Those pics were the sole reason I tore down a killi harem and rescaped, restocked all in a matter of 4 days haha.. I'm weak.. Your fish want my real plants:p

Males get close to 3" and females barely break 1". I have more pictures of more fish when your ready... WC Baenschi? and they are content with their plants and java moss, I have some tiny little plant i got with my moss but don't know what it is. It grows good though with no extra help!

I like pics! I'm maxed out on tank space for now.. I can always dream though.. I just nailed a 75 gal off Craigslist for $70.. The possibilities are endless!! I put easy plants in this tank.

More.. These guys are so cool! I just fed them frozen daphnia for the first time! They went ballastic, but now the male is trying to kill the female:( silly apisto's...

image-1074857468.jpg

image-48274445.jpg

Males can get frisky so watch them. My first WC female jumped because of the male. He was also shaky and flashing her in the bad on the way home.

More.. These guys are so cool! I just fed them frozen daphnia for the first time! They went ballastic, but now the male is trying to kill the female:( silly apisto's...

View attachment 236628

View attachment 236629

Really nice looking fish, do you think the male will leave the female alone maybe settling in?
Sorry didn't realise someone posted before me.

What should I look out for?? He chases her a bit, she stays in one spit and points at a 65 degree angle upwards as to say "I'm not looking at youuuuuuuu" and he goes back to his cave, and repeat 4 minutes later.. It's similar to what my cac's do and they're a mated pair.. When should I consider removal or separation?

If he is relentlessly chasing I'd consider it. Sounds like normal behavior right now. Mine does that curve body point to the ground thing to my male all the time. If he goes at her when she does that instead of going away that may be a problem

If he is relentlessly chasing I'd consider it. Sounds like normal behavior right now. Mine does that curve body point to the ground thing to my male all the time. If he goes at her when she does that instead of going away that may be a problem
cool, nope he's being as gentlemanly as these little dirt dogs can be ATM..
Edit- when I mated up the cac's I had 2 females for him and they killed the 2 nd a couple weeks after initial introduction.. Seeing as I've already set these two up.. Would adding a 2nd female in a week be a death sentence??

Back
Top Bottom