New balloon fish making waves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MyFishesKeeper

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just took both my dalmation mollies out of my 29 gallon tank for being overly aggressive to the 4 new Balloon mollies. Now one of the Balloon mollies is being overly aggressive to my goldfish.... already used up my extra tank on the dalmation troublemakers.
What to do?

Here are pics of the brute!
And is this a male?

Attachments

• 1485494926648.jpg
    1485494926648.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 1485494942656.jpg
    1485494942656.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 62
Me neither. But I got some mean ones. I believe the dalmations are male and female, also...that they may have been the reason for a previous balloons demise.

These are the first problem children

Attachments

• 1485495584945.jpg
    1485495584945.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 53
demon molles

too start with the goldfish is a cold water fish and mollies are tropical requiring higher temps. goldfish usually require 20 gals per fish to not be stunted.mollies and goldfish put a lot of poop in the tank and im sure that ammonia would become a problem unless water changes are at least 50%. i hope they survive but its not very likely given their differences in habit. good luck

Good news. The two goldfish. Cali and Nemo, have ganged together, and Cali is acting as body guard. Seems to be working thus far. Keeping my eye on them. At the size they are at this time, I think size is ok for tank. We were expecting to go to a larger tank anyways, in the future.
We also, already discussed upping the temp on the tank, from 78, to atleast 85. But did not expect to do it so soon. I will update if I see any problems, of course.
Thx for your help!
Appreciate it!

We also, already discussed upping the temp on the tank, from 78, to atleast 85. But did not expect to do it so soon. I will update if I see any problems, of course.
Thx for your help!
Appreciate it!
85!:eek:
I hope you get some good information or start to do A LITTLE research for yourself at some time...
The fish you have should not be together. That doesn't mean they won't survive ,many live in less then ideal conditions.
It just seems a shame when they don't have to?
The tank and fish are under your care and no one else is responsible...
Balloon anything is a HUGE mistake for anyone to purchase. Thanks for supporting the mistreatment of fish and fish keepers...:nono: Sorry to sound harsh, but...:whistle:
We all started somewhere and decided whether we needed or even wanted to learn more about PROPER fish keeping.
You need to learn about what you have, do you want to?
I would start here and then expand your searches on compatibility.
AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor
Input your tank size and filter and then your fish.
This is the beginning of doing it right.
They error on the cautious side, which is a good thing for newbs...

Best to get advice and suggestions that are from those who DON'T take your money?
Sometimes free advice is worth what you paid for it, but it is not completely motivated by getting money out of your pocket every time they see or talk to you.
Most every newb wants to blame themselves when fish go wrong. They think the people at stores have good intentions and info...It is all too often a painful and expensive lesson to learn they can be as wrong as your free info. At least in this setting some one may step up and say the RIGHT thing ??? Maybe?

Ya...making me think of options. The goldfish are not big enough to worry about tank size now, filtration is good with a 21%dump, weekly. Dalmations will have to stay in other tank.
Fish are all getting along now, no bullying. May have to take out the one agressive male. That would leave me to a male and 2 females.
Goldfish are all female.
Or remove both males, I'm thinking.

Goldfish prefer 68-75 degree water. Mollies 78-80. As has been said already, they should not be kept together. Don't raise the temp to 85! Much too high for goldfish!

And if I could only remember all the times these pet shop people have given me bad advice, not to mention not wanting to admit they didn't know how to sex fish, and giving me the wrong sex! That has happened several times. I finally learned not to believe anything they say, and do my own research.

I would say that goldfish require more than 20 gallons per fish! More like 40. They get huge. I'd have no less than a 55 for 2 goldfish, and if they grow to 10 inches, like some do, even a 55 is not big enough.

Back
Top Bottom