New fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

celticfan

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 20g tank(I think it maybe more US Gallons 24 or something?) with 2 platies and 3 scissortail rasboras and I was wondering if I could add any more fish to it and how many?

I want another platy as I have a male and female and the male chases her about sometimes.

My uncle told me to get 3 swordtails and about 6 tetras or whiteclouds would that be too many? I dont really want swordtails though as they look almost exactly like my platies and I would like a bit more variety.

What fish would you recommend?

I would go ahead and get another female platy so that the aggression from the male will be spread out between the two. Do you have any plans for fry?

Since Scissortail Rasboras get generally around 4-5 inches each, I would only get 1 more to get a small school. Because of them being so big limits the fish that you can put in the aquarium.

Thanks, yeah i'll definetly get another platy as the male does give the female a lot of hassle.

I don't know about the fry, my uncle has the breeder cage and net things so if one does get pregnant then i'll probably ask for one off him and try to keep them alive.

Would dalmatian mollies be ok in a freshwater tank?

I got new fish today, 4 buenos aires tetra, a bronze cory and another platy.

So I now have 3 platies, 3 scissortails, 4 buenos aires tetra and the cory.

Was just wondering if the other platies will be ok with the new one, the two I already had are red wag and the new one is whitish yellow with a red spot beside its eye and black at the top and bottom of it's tail. It's also about half the size of my other two and they dont seem to be making friends with it as the little one is being left alone and the other two always follow each other.

IMO You shouldn't have gotten the buenos aires tetras. They are very aggressive and grow pretty big. I would suggest bringing them back to the pet store and getting more of the bronze Cory cats, they are schooling fish and like the company of their own kind, you should have at least 5 bronze cory cats.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

IMO You shouldn't have gotten the buenos aires tetras. They are very aggressive and grow pretty big. I would suggest bringing them back to the pet store and getting more of the bronze Cory cats, they are schooling fish and like the company of their own kind, you should have at least 5 bronze cory cats.

Thanks, yeah they seem lively when i fed them but they arent attacking the other fish if they do start causing bother then I will take them back. I did read about them that they can ni the fins of the others if they arent fed enough and eat a lot. I think I will get another cory so its not too lonely.

Are other tetras ok? I didnt know what ones to get as they had like 5 different kinds and I was going to chose them or the other ones I liked where whitish I think they were called Rosy tetra are they more peaceful?

Why dont you get yourself swordtails with a variety of colours, Ive got 4 swordtails (2 plain ones you normally see, 1 pineapple and 1 black/silver) As for the corys Ive got 3 peppered ones and 3 Panda corys all get along great and some guppys as well. Not forgetting my shrimp!

Right now, my tank is stocked since I have a 96litre tank, have real happy community tank going on and Im sure yours will be great with the new additions!!!!!

Many tetras aren't fin nippers. Like gold tetras, hatchets, bleeding heart tetras, glo lite tetra, penguin tetras and much more.
You could also get cherry barbs, they aren't aggressive and are a bright cherry red color(male). You should get 1 male for 2 females.

The Rosy tetra is more peaceful than the Buenos Aires Tetra. but as long as the Buenos Aires tetra is in a school of 6 or more, it should bring the aggressiveness and nipping to the minimum.

You could replace the Buenos Aires tetra with the rosies, but I would recommend getting rid of the Scissortail rasbora Since they are one of the bigger rasboras and need a school of 6, they should go, with your current stock, they over stock the tank.

Once the Rasboras are gone, you could add the school of cories to 3-5 and the Buenos Aires tetra school to 6.

What gender is all of your platy?

One is male and 2 are female, the new small one is a female.

Sounds nice warthog, I didnt get swordtails because they look really similar to the platies I already had..

I might do as you said then with the Rasboras, I originally got 2 bala sharks too but noticed they didnt seem to happpy so I gave them to my uncle and they are fine, his tank is twice bigger than mines. The tetras seem to like the rasboras though as when I put them in they went straight up to them and have really always stayed with them since like they are part of their group lol

Back
Top Bottom