New fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charliegonz92

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I have a tank Containing the following:
1 peacock eel
1 pictus catfish
1 raphael catfish
1 clown loach
1 red tail shark
1 blue lobster

So basically I have a bunch of bottom feeders. And since my tank is 3 feet tall, there's about 2 feet of open water. Can anyone thing of some good/cool fish to get that will stay near the top? They can't get too big because my tank isn't massive

How about a butterfly fish. They stay on the surface and are pretty sweet

Yeah angle fish would look nice. And they get 4" max and never leave the surface

I have to disagree about angels only getting 4". I have seen some that are pretty big, from top fin to bottom fin it was probally close to 12". Angelfish can still go in your tank though, i think a pair would make a nice addition, and maybe a schooling fish of some sort.

adammorrill said:
I have to disagree about angels only getting 4". I have seen some that are pretty big, from top fin to bottom fin it was probally close to 12". Angelfish can still go in your tank though, i think a pair would make a nice addition, and maybe a schooling fish of some sort.

I have one now that from top to bottom is about 10" and the body is about the size of a softball. But do good in tall tanks.

I have one now that from top to bottom is about 10" and the body is about the size of a softball. But do good in tall tanks.
Yah, i love angels. I have one in my tank that is probally 5" top to bottom, but i only had him a year and when i got him he was only about 3" top to bottom.

Yeah the angel fish seem pretty cool. I might go with those. I used to have 2 small ones a while ago but they died pretty quickly. Do you have any other suggestions?

What about some dwarf gouramis? Be careful if you get more than one, because they may fight. There are also some larger species of gouramis that might work also like a Blue gourami, Gold Gourami, Pearl gourami, or a kissing gourami. You could also get a small school of rainbowfish, they get a decent size, stay near the top, and have beautiful colors.

I just worry about the gouramis because they don't like aggressive fish, and my red tail shark is pretty aggressive

Roberts48 said:
How about a butterfly fish. They stay on the surface and are pretty sweet

Awesome fish eats crickets but WILL JUMP OUT OF THE TANK EVEN IF WELL FED!! I learnt it the sad way :'(

Um I wouldn't add anything until you get a properly sized tank or rehome some fish
You'll need 150 gals for the clown loach and buddies or you can rehome the loach and get a 75 gal or bigger

Um I wouldn't add anything until you get a properly sized tank or rehome some fish
You'll need 150 gals for the clown loach and buddies or you can rehome the loach and get a 75 gal or bigger

I completely agree
Some fish you have in there can reach a foot in length and need a long aquarium to really thrive, especially the clown loach and the pictus catfish. I think re homing or upgrading to a larger tank would be a great option
The red tailed shark as he mature will become aggresive and potential kill some of your fish is they come into his territory.
Im sorry if this has come across as harsh but its just my honest opinon

I already got rid of my red tail. And I read that the pictus dont get any longer than 6 inches

The clown loach does get pretty big and like groups of at least three. But they are really slow growers. So just be prepared

Charliegonz92 said:
Yeah I'll most likely just give him away when he gets too big

Lol to me those are my famous last words lol I can't work up the heart to get rid of Zeus (my eleven inch pleco)

Back
Top Bottom