New fish ideas for my 50 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dm76

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
New fish ideas for my 50 gal (Pics included)

Hi all. I found some good info on this site before and haven't been around for awhile but am back and want some new fish for my tank. Its a 50 gal with an Eheim 2217, two 25 watt 36" T8 tubes with ballast overdriven, flourite substrate, driftwood, and plants as seen in the pictures here. Its been up and running for about 5-6 months now. A lot of the vals have died off, and I went through a bout of some nasty slimy looking algae stuff a few months ago that I cured with a black out, and now just started getting BGA and am using Maracyn because that worked on another tank before so hopefully that will do the trick here. There are just some tufts of algae that grow on the wood, but it looks pretty cool so I dont think it hurts anything as long as it doesnt get out of control. Here is a pic from when I first planted everything:

img_1051437_0_9057ed2dcf916edb01556ef9ea13f191.jpg

Here is a pic from today:

img_1051437_1_f69fe20ad3247bb99fbdacf280569638.jpg

So its not as full as when I started, but most plants seem to be doing ok. I have been dosing flourish once a week and started using Excel a couple months ago. I have 8 harlequin rasboras and 7 black neon tetras (bought 6 but someone had a baby in there!).

I'd like to hear some ideas for more fish. I want a few bigger ones, maybe something that adds more color, some bottom dwellers to eat up the food that falls or algae. I also like shrimp. Love to hear any idea or tips you may have.

I like something the size of gouramis. What are your thoughts on that? What types get along well, and in what quantities? Maybe some rams?

Looks good! Are you interested in dwarf cichlids at all? Rams or apistogramma would work nicely in there.

Your tank looks great! How about cherry shrimp, cories, and maybe a few rainbow fish? Decisions, decisions... lol Keep us updated! :)

I did like the German Blue Rams, but have been reading in a lot of the forums that they are not that hardy and dying off easily lately. I was looking into cories or otts too. Its fun trying to decide but also so hard to!

Bolivian rams are much easier to keep, if you're interested in those.

I never really knew anything about rainbows but just doing a search now they look very colorful and beautiful. I will have to pay attention to those next time I go to the store.

Ok how about this for stocking idea:

In addition to the 8 harlequins and 7 black neons I already have, maybe 6-8 cories (either peppered or julii, or maybe a combo if its ok to mix them), 4-6 otos, 3 gouramis (either 3 pearl or 2 pearl and one dwarf neon) and 2 german blue rams (are they better off in a pair or just one?). Also maybe a bamboo shrimp, and then some ghost shrimp and see if they survive or end up being food. How does that sound? Should I start with the cories or otos, and add one group of them each week? Is that enough time in between?

Sorry for bumping this up, but I really want to start buying some fish this week. Will this plan work?

well honestly, id wait on the cories and ottos... ive never had ottos, but i do know corries do best in an established tank because they are bottom feeders, so i would wait a little longer on them... ive heard ottos are the same. I have a feeling the shrimp will become food, i had gouramis and they loved to eat shrimp, though they had to be prtty small for them to eat. Have you looked at opaline gouramis? I think they are the prettiest of the bunch.

The tank has been running for about 5 months. What is the definition of established?

I ended up looking at the fish today and just bought some ghost shrimp. Seeing all the different kinds of cories, now that is gonna be tough to decide. I think I'll go with some otos first then. Maybe 4-5 of them, then in another week or decide on the cories. The albino ones are kinda ugly, but will show up good on that black substrate! I'll probably just get the peppered kind though.

I ended up buying 5 otos and a bamboo shrimp today. I will probably get 6-8 cories in the next couple weeks after I pick a type I like. The lady at the LFS suggested I might get a single angelfish as a centerpiece fish, and then maybe some rams too or a couple other fish around that size (3-4") to go with all the smaller ones I have. And maybe a bristlenose pleco too. There was a cool looking polka dotted one, and if they don't get that big, then that might be good to have. Like to hear anyones thoughts on this idea, or if I should stick with gouramis or something else?

Back
Top Bottom