New member with a pH problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

darby

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've had my tank for five weeks, doing twice weekly water changes, and my pH is off the charts. I'm using Jungle brand test strips, and I also have the fuzz tab pH adjuster. Every level except my alkalinity, and pH are ok. I use tapwater and dechlorinater. HELP please!!!!!

Strips aren't recommended to test water. Do you have a LFS that might use liquid tests to compare the strips to? Adjusting the ph is sometimes more dangerous than it is being off. Do you have fish yet or are you still cycling?

Welcome you will find a lot of helpful people on this forum.

Yeah, but I haven't heard many good things about them. There is another one about twenty miles away that I'll go to. Are there any other tests or supplies that you would recommend?

Welcome to AA :)

I would recommend you purchase a liquid reagent test kit. One that tests ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH. API makes a good kit that's reasonably priced, especially if you purchase it online.

What is 'off the charts'? pH is, IMO, one of the most overrated topics in aquaria. If it's stable, it's most likely perfectly fine.

The legend only goes up to 8.4, and the reading is above that. That seems really high to me, but I'm no expert.

I`m going to move this to the FW general discussion. More people will see it there.

I would look into natural ways to adjust your PH..maybe driftwood or peat?? I've always heard those adjusters are bad news. You need a master test kit. Allpet.com has the best price I can find. Also test your tap water, see if that is the PH straight out of the tap so you know what you are dealing with.

I like the API liquid tests, they are easy to use and accurate.

I' m gonna pick the test up Monday. Will the pet store have peat too?

Not exactly sure. I'll test it later tonight when I get home and let everyone know.

According to my test strips, the pH of my tap water is a little above 8.4.

Owch. And I thought my water was hard. How big is your tank? You might want to buy RO water from the LFS if it's under 20 gallons and cut it 50/50 with your tap water on water change day. Or you could get a RO machine yourself. They aren't too expensive and if you ever go SW you'll be ready.

Back
Top Bottom