New plan to remove nitrates.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't understand the difference between that and having the plants in the tank? Does it work better because the soil actually working as both mechanical and biological filtration?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't understand the difference between that and having the plants in the tank? Does it work better because the soil actually working as both mechanical and biological filtration?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'd say the biggest difference would be you can grow plants that consume much more nitrates.

I think they mean the plants have the water away from the roots for short periods with this system keeping them from rotting and allowing oxygen to get to them.
I have a house plant growing in my tank. I have an aquaclear 110 on my 125 with 2 sponges, one is full size, the other I had to cut off some to get it to fit. I also cut some of the back of the sponges off to allow room for the roots and have simply put them in the back of the filter and allow the plant to drape down over the side and front corner of the tank. It does help with the nitrates a bit but I have an oscar and 10 silver dollars in the tank which would take a lot of plants to keep nitrates really low. I use an FX5 for my main filtration as the 110 is for mechanical filtration only. The constant water movement by being in the filter keeps the roots from rotting and provides a constant supply of nitrates.

Aquaponics is a great nitrate removal tool. Although you have to keep in mind that if you are growing edibles in your media tray... When you harvest the plants... You are taking away a nitrate eating component. You have to keep the system balanced by either replacing the plant that was harvested or harvesting in a rotation to maintain nitrate removal from the system.

A lot of plants adapt well to the aquaponics system. Timing of the ebb and flow bed helps elevate root rot and fungus. Worms can also be added to the tray to breakdown wastes and such as well (the fish like the worms as a treat sometimes as well!). Some people have also incorporated a constant flow through "bog" system with red mangroves and other water plants as a constant piece.

In my 10g fry tanks... I float plants in styrofoam with either baskets of media or roots hanging. Works great and provides hiding places. For any system that has exposed plant roots though... You need to know of your fish will eat or damage the roots in any way.

Back
Top Bottom