New Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wilson_004

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just changed my old gravel to pool filter sand for my cichlids.there all out in a big bucket right now with the filters running on it and all the fake plants and rocks inside
how long shoudl i wait to put them back in...like how long will it take for the merkyness to settle?
Thanks for any replies!!!

Did you clean the sand? The fish can be added to the tank at any time. But I would not put them in the tank if you did not clean the sand.

it took my tank about 2 days to completly settle. but pool filter sand usually settle pretty quickly. u can put them back in while it is still a little murky and they should be fine. thats just my opinion though so anyone else chime in if i am wrong

You might also want to put a bag or pantyhose full of the old gravel into the tank to help seed the new sand and avoid any mini cycles. If you rinsed the sand I agree with FF you can add the fish right away.

Zagz said:
You might also want to put a bag or pantyhose full of the old gravel into the tank to help seed the new sand and avoid any mini cycles. If you rinsed the sand I agree with FF you can add the fish right away.

100% agree. Put some of the old gravel in the tank to seed the bacteria. The fish should be fine as long as you cleaned the sand

i cleaned mine very briefly, and my water wasnt too bad... it would be just as though there was a strong gust of wind in the wild, rhe water would get stirred up, so fish should be harmed at all

Back
Top Bottom