New setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquaplantfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I wanted to setup a new tank for my friend and buy live Bactria and add fish the same day as dr tom's Bactria allowed to do that, thats what he says but I'm not sure if I should even go with that?

I'm always a bit wary when I read about 'live' bacteria. I believe it has to be refrigerated and has a very short shelf life.. I have never seen it locally, so I had no other choice but the good old cycle!!!

I wanted to setup a new tank for my friend and buy live Bactria and add fish the same day as dr tom's Bactria allowed to do that, thats what he says but I'm not sure if I should even go with that?

Can you transfer any decor/gravel/filter media or anything with established bb on it to the new tank? It won't create quite the 'instantly cycled' tank that your looking for, but it's prob better than the bottled bacteria.

I'm always a bit wary when I read about 'live' bacteria. I believe it has to be refrigerated and has a very short shelf life.. I have never seen it locally, so I had no other choice but the good old cycle!!!

That's what I though, I mean what are they eating all that time inside the bottle. The liquid ammonia should be ok? By dr tom's

Can you transfer any decor/gravel/filter media or anything with established bb on it to the new tank? It won't create quite the 'instantly cycled' tank that your looking for, but it's prob better than the bottled bacteria.

I didn't think about that, but I already bought liquid ammonia to Feed the bb

Plus I have Sand and the decor is one big peace, Maybe I can use a sox and Put sand inside?

I didn't think about that, but I already bought liquid ammonia to Feed the bb

Plus I have Sand and the decor is one big peace, Maybe I can use a sox and Put sand inside?
Go with Tetras idea first. If they/you add fish very slowly, you'll be fine....

Also, Tetra SafeStart is a great option to augment the fish-in cycle. You still have to add the fish slowly, but it does jump-start the process. I've done it a couple of times, works great.

I did a fish-in cycle and used Zebra Danios. They are pretty hardy fish to use for cycling. I'd be sure they survive and your parameters are good for a couple of weeks before adding too many more fish. IMO anyway!

Also, Tetra SafeStart is a great option to augment the fish-in cycle. You still have to add the fish slowly, but it does jump-start the process. I've done it a couple of times, works great.

I'm setting it up for 16gal, you prefer tetra safe start over seachem?

I've no experience with Seachem, so I couldn't tell you. I know that I did quite a bit of research and the consensus seemed to be that if you must do a fish-in cycle, TSS was the way to do it.

I've no experience with Seachem, so I couldn't tell you. I know that I did quite a bit of research and the consensus seemed to be that if you must do a fish-in cycle, TSS was the way to do it.

Oh ok, I'll work with safe start plus I got my water testing master kit.

How long was your cycle? With safe start and did you add a fish or two in the same day or maybe after a week?. I know the water parameter will tell but just to get an idea of safe start

Also do you have life plants? I want to fill it %50 with live plants that are very easy to care for, but do I still need a c02? Caz I dont care for plant growth

Also do you have life plants? I want to fill it %50 with live plants that are very easy to care for, but do I still need a c02? Caz I dont care for plant growth

It's not 'required' that you have co2. But it does help. If you don't want co2, may I suggest root tabs, seachem has a good line of them I use them and my root plants are beautiful. Easy plants are: java fern/moss, water wisteria, hornwort and many swords. A 16 gallon is a nice size to start your journey into plants.

It's not 'required' that you have co2. But it does help. If you don't want co2, may I suggest root tabs, seachem has a good line of them I use them and my root plants are beautiful. Easy plants are: java fern/moss, water wisteria, hornwort and many swords. A 16 gallon is a nice size to start your journey into plants.

Excellent! I'll go with the tablets but how about I use fish waste as fertilization, I'll just not vacuum that area?

And I'm going to add the plants that was mentioned by you.

And is there any beneficial cause for the fish?

Use the Dr Tims bacteria. It is a different type of bacteria that is different from all the other bottles products. I dont remember what it was called but it is 100% natural and id never start another tank without using it. My tank cycled in 2 days. If you test your water, you can actually see it being cycled. You must add fish though. Go on youtube on Mrsaltwatertank's channel and watch the video on Dr Tims One and Only Live Nitrifying Bacteria where Mark Callahan (Mrsaltwatertank) actually has a 10 minute discussion on it. Dr Tim Hovanec himself explains to him what it actually is. BUY IT. You wont regret it.

Are you asking if co2 benefits fish? I don't believe so, remember fish breath oxygen. I'm not brave/technical enough to use co2. What type of substrate will you be using?

Ya I was asking If plants have any positive out put to the fishes, I guess oxygen is what fishes will get.

Me too I'm not in to co2 either and I have no choice but to go with gravel as I have enough leftover. Should it be a problem for the easy care plants?

Use the Dr Tims bacteria. It is a different type of bacteria that is different from all the other bottles products. I dont remember what it was called but it is 100% natural and id never start another tank without using it. My tank cycled in 2 days. If you test your water, you can actually see it being cycled. You must add fish though. Go on youtube on Mrsaltwatertank's channel and watch the video on Dr Tims One and Only Live Nitrifying Bacteria where Mark Callahan (Mrsaltwatertank) actually has a 10 minute discussion on it. Dr Tim Hovanec himself explains to him what it actually is. BUY IT. You wont regret it.

Gosh I wish I know earlier. Funny thing is i bought the DR TIM'S LIQUID AMMONIA from www.drfostersmith.com and I just started the cycle today as it just arrived.

Since its a different type of Bactria can I still use it on my already stablished tank and the new one?. I have a major waste problem in my old tank, that's because I went with a brand called big Al's and it has a waste problem now.

What site do you order it from?

Back
Top Bottom