New tank. Ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pandicorn

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello everyone! I am planning on getting a new tank soon! yay! :D I am looking for a 30+ sized tank, and I am wondering what I should put inside? What tank should I buy? What fish? My budget isn't infinite, so keep that in mind x)

It's a little hard to make suggestions without knowing the size of tank and your fish preferences ;) What things do you like, and what's your budget?

Something I think makes your life a lot easier, depending on how much maintence you want to do is to test your pH and water hardness first then pick fish that go with it. Or you can just pick what you like and then slowly acclimate them. The choice is completly yours just the first is easier.

Tank size I think 55 gallons are awesome. They aren't so tall that you need super long arms to clean them but give you more space and hence a larger range of fish that you can keep. I personally have a 29 gallon which I think is also nice you are just more limited to smaller schooling fish.

Maybe go to some of your local fish stores, look around at what they have and then write down what you like. Then come back here and we can help you? Of course first determining the size of tank you want to get will help alot too.

I've been looking at some 55 gallon ish tanks, and I really don't know what kind of fish I like. I'd prefer some smaller fish with maybe some snails and whatnot. I'll keep some plants, but I'm unsure about the rest. I'm willing to spend 600$ ish

Smaller fish narrows it down a little, but not by much... In a 55 gallon you can keep just about any smaller fish you want. How about this...
1) Rank your priorities when it comes to a fish:
- Personality
- Unique appearance
- Color
- Tight schooling
- Activity level
2) Do you like large schools of a few types of fish, or do you prefer lots of different fish?
3) Do you want to your fish to breed?

This will help us suggest fish for you to look into :)

Sorry, kinda new to this :p I really like schooling fish, and I would like them to breed. I like good personalities and striking colors, but I need a peaceful tank too! Thanks for being patient and supporting guys :)

In a 30 gallon tank you have so many options!!!! You can get water dog newts, with kissing gouramis,kuhli loaches and batches of peaceful tetras, that'd be extremely unique! These fish/animals are peaceful and strange in appearance. I have expierence with them all and can deffinately tell you that's a lot of personality and weird in one tank!:) idk what you're going for but in my opinion thatd be the coolest to me

Sent from my LT28at using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've been looking at some 55 gallon ish tanks, and I really don't know what kind of fish I like. I'd prefer some smaller fish with maybe some snails and whatnot. I'll keep some plants, but I'm unsure about the rest. I'm willing to spend 600$ ish

With $600 you can get a pretty sick tank!

^agreed. It all depends on your theme too tho.I personally like weird in my tanks. But I have seen beautiful freshwater/brackish tanks with a ocean theme, Amazon swords,java moss,white sand,nice wrecked sunk ship center piece with false coral pieces with angel fish and fiddler crabs and you've got you're self a sick ocean theme. Or you could do drift wood, multiple plants and just get tons of schools of different species of Amazon fish(tetras). My family has an ocean theme, rainbow shark, kuhli loaches, cherry shrimp,ghost shrimp with a school of barbs in a custom 40gal bow"ocean theme" tank. All up to you.

Sent from my LT28at using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tetra

I've turned my old gold fish tank in to a tropical tank with tetras. Glowfish give it a flare with some neon tetras and others you'll have good schooling and activity in the tank. I have a 29g with 12 tetras in it.

Sorry, kinda new to this :p I really like schooling fish, and I would like them to breed. I like good personalities and striking colors, but I need a peaceful tank too! Thanks for being patient and supporting guys :)

Well, that was kind of all over the board, but here's some broad groups you can look into and see if any catch your eye... All of the below fish are decent beginners fish that are typically pretty peaceful, but you'd have to play with stocking numbers on aqadvisor.com to get a sanity check on how many of each type are compatible and will fit in the size tank you're thinking of. Double check your stocking plan with folks here though, as a calculator is still no substitute for experience :)

Mid/Top Level dwellers:
Guppies/Endlers - Will breed like crazy (which means you need a plan for what to do with the babies), are very colorful, easy to keep, and somewhat stick together. Dumber than dirt, which means they don't have the biggest personalities unless you like laughing at them attempting to breed with or eat everything in sight. They do tend to somewhat school just due to the nature of the males constantly chasing the girls to try and breed.

Platies/Swords/Mollies - Breed just as much as Guppies, are slightly less dramatically colored or as flashy of tails, and slightly more intelligent. Same tendencies to somewhat school.

Gourami - Stick to Honey or Dwarf, and only one unless they're female. Very colorful, can have quite a bit of personality or can be shy depending on the fish. Don't tend to school much, and tend to be fairly lazy.

Rainbowfish - Depending on the species can be very colorful and typically very active, my favorites being the Threadfins since they have very eye catching and dramatic fin flicking displays when kept in decent numbers of evenly balanced males and females. Not really big on personality compared to some other options.

Tetras - Active schoolers. Some tetra types can be nippy, so avoid keeping with flowy fins like guppies/endlers. Some tetras can be very colorful, such as Neons, Cardinals, etc, others can be fairly unique looking, such as blind cave tetras, xray tetras, etc. Usually not much personality, and some types can be shy and tend to hide if not kept in decent sized schools (8+). For a tight school, look at Rummynose Tetras, the other types usually only school when they feel threatened.

Danios - School relatively well, but can be fin nippers. Majority are VERY active, constantly on the move. Usually not too colorful (with the exception of GloFish danios), but have some very cool patterning. Typically not a ton of personality, but you get the odd one here and there that is particularly insistent on exploring everything.

Barbs - Active, often colorful, need a school but don't necessarily stick together. Some barbs are don't do well in a peaceful tank, but there are some that do. Cherry barbs are the most mellow and community friendly, while some are VERY nippy unless kept in very large schools (12+) such as Tiger Barbs. Unless you do a fair amount of research to see which ones are friendly vs which are nippy, best to avoid. Not the most personality compared to other options.

Rasboras - Can be very colorful, active, and school fairly well. Not usually big on personality.

Bottom Dwellers:
Loaches- Not very colorful, but big on personality and activity and need a few of their own kind to play with. Avoid Hillstream loaches, as they're a bit much to handle for beginners. School well and usually are chasing each other all over the tank and are general clowns. Check max size though as many of them can get too large for the tank size you're looking at.

Cory Cats - Big on personality and activity, not very colorful. Need a few of their own kind but don't usually school much. Do a decent job at cleaning up any leftover food.

Killifish - Very colorful, can be bred with a little effort. Some are not community friendly, but most of the beginner ones are. Can be kept in colonies but will not school. Haven't kept any myself so I can't comment on their activity levels or personality.

Dwarf Crayfish - Pretty colors, and add some extra interest to the tank beyond just fish. Crayfish have a ton of personality, and depending on the personality/rank they can be brave and constantly active or they may be shy and hide a lot. Can be bred as long as there are lots of hidey holes for them to form territories around, good food, and proper water parameters.

Shrimp - Red Cherry Shrimp or Ghost Shrimp are usually pretty forgiving, but can be sensitive to nitrates. High-grade RCS are very colorful, while Ghost shrimp are not. Usually pretty active/interesting unless kept with fish that may bother them, in which case they'll tend to hide. Good for algae and leftover food cleanup.

Snails - Nerites won't breed in freshwater, but Mystery, Apple, Ramshorn, Malaysian Trumpet Snails, and Rabbit snails will, and can be prolific. Some can be colorful, but often not to the extent of fish. Not usually very interesting, but can help with leftover food/algae.

Okay, so that ended up being longer than intended, but it should give you some ideas to look into so you can start narrowing down your wish list :)

Thank you luananeko! I am currently making a list of fish I have been considering! Here's some information about my experience... I am currently raising 10 guppy fry, which I am planning to put into the new tank when they grow up. I have kept a single 10 gallon tank for about 14 months, with 4 tetras and a Glo-Danio. I have some java ferns inside, and I think it's going rather well.

I'm pretty new to all of this but I found that I like:

Six or so Black Phantom Tetras look great together and aren't at all aggressive.

Two or more Julii Cories are fun to watch and have great markings. Mine follow each other up and down the glass and through the air bubbles.

Zebra Danios aren't exactly gorgeous, but they're always moving, non-aggressive and their constant schooling movement is supposed to signal to shy fish that there's no danger present

Plants like cabomba, wisteria, dwarf hair grass, staurogyne repens and hornwort are nice. Put the hair grass in the front and around some of the staurogyne. The add the taller plants to the sides/back. I also like the look of building mounds, banked by large rocks with valleys of hairgrass and medium size stones.

All if the above options are ok, but I will always go with a discus tank, with real wood and real plants, check mine out!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394030558.291383.jpg

I've been considering making my aquarium Chinese themed (That's where we're from :p) but I'm not sure what fish would compliment that. Maybe angel fish, or some guppies? Maybe a catfish or something similar to clean?

I wouldn't put angelfish with guppies, those flowy fins are rather tempting for the angel.

If you're going for a Chinese theme, a cooler temperature tank with Paradise Fish, White Cloud Minnows, and some loaches could be very active, peaceful, and be all fish that are from that region :) Another option would be a goldfish tank if you want the more flashy fins.

I wouldn't put angelfish with guppies, those flowy fins are rather tempting for the angel.

If you're going for a Chinese theme, a cooler temperature tank with Paradise Fish, White Cloud Minnows, and some loaches could be very active, peaceful, and be all fish that are from that region :) Another option would be a goldfish tank if you want the more flashy fins.

Are there any brighter fish?
Thanks for all your help :)

You can have a nice tank with cardinals, rummy nose tetra's, congo tetra's, cory's, your guppy's and maybe a betta.

Back
Top Bottom