New Tank Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jc102

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys,

I've been really trying to figure out what to stock my 75 gallon with. I really wanted an Mbuna tank, but I have a pleco and I've heard that they can eat the pleco's eyes out.

My pleco is around 6 inches and I've been told that he is a Sailfin pleco, but I don't have a definitive answer. He's a little over a year old.

What would be a good stocking plan for a 75 with my pleco? I like the colors of African cichlids and I'd prefer some larger fish and then a community of smaller fish.

Any ideas will help!

If you still want the African Cichlids, research the various Peacock Cichlids. An all male peacock tank would look really good. It's been my experience that most peacocks are mid to upper level swimmers. My Peacocks never bothered the plecos.
You could also mix in a few Yellow tail Acei and Red Fin Borleyi. They aren't particularly aggressive either.

If you still want the African Cichlids, research the various Peacock Cichlids. An all male peacock tank would look really good. It's been my experience that most peacocks are mid to upper level swimmers. My Peacocks never bothered the plecos.
You could also mix in a few Yellow tail Acei and Red Fin Borleyi. They aren't particularly aggressive either.

Thank you for the suggestions. I really like the look of the Yellow tail Acei. Perhaps a few of those and another cichlid will look nice. Then a school of smaller fish. I'm still researching and trying to find something that I like. I currently have sand that buffers the pH, so I'm looking at species who can tolerate a pH of at least 8.0. Ideally, I'd like to keep the substrate since I already spent money on it and its in the tank, but I will replace it if I absolutely have to.

There are numerous Central and South American Cichlids as well as Tetras that can easily acclimate to a 8 plus ph. I don't see any need to change your substrate. The ph of my tanks are at least an 8.

Back
Top Bottom