New tank set up for goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

locorosa

Aquarium Advice Freak

I am what I'd call an ameteur aquariumist. We (the Hubs and I) have had a 35 hex for 7 years with 3-5 goldfish in it at all times. We progressed to an Emperor biowheel setup and other than algae ( know it's a by product of waste), we've had a nice tank with very little work.
We briefly tried live plants but figured out they were expensive snacks for the little buggers and went to silk...same thing. So at this point have plastic plants.
After prowling the internet for over 6 months we scored on a 92 gal. corner bow front that came with a Fluvall 404 (rated for 100 gallons) canister filter and an undergravel setup with two power sweepers.
As we speak. the tank was setup 24 hours ago and I put a few handfuls of gravel from the old tank into the new to start cycling. There was 50lbs of gravel in there that we rinsed off and put back in the tank. It was a freshwater setup but not for goldfish.
So here come the questions. LMAO!

Is a week enough time for the new tank to cycle? Should we throw in some feeder fish to start the waste to nitrate cycle? Being that they are dirty fish, is the Fluvall 404 and the undergravel with 2 power sweepers enough to keep this tank clean? The tank is slightly uneven in that the right side is a little deeper than the left, should we shim that side (tank and stand is sitting on carpet) to level it? The water is about an 1 " deeper on the right side. Is there anything recommended to get biologicals started besides adding gravel and fish? We are still using the old biowheel as the Hex is still running so don't want to remove it and place it on the new tank (don't think it'd help much being that new tank is almost 3x the size of old).
Also, would it be better to add all the fish at once or one every couple of days. We understand they can be sensitive and don't want to stress them out too much.

Thanks in advance for the info and judt in case you all didn't know, THIS SITE IS GREAT!!!

Happy New Year,
Locorosa

locorosa said:

I am what I'd call an ameteur aquariumist. We (the Hubs and I) have had a 35 hex for 7 years with 3-5 goldfish in it at all times. We progressed to an Emperor biowheel setup and other than algae ( know it's a by product of waste), we've had a nice tank with very little work.
We briefly tried live plants but figured out they were expensive snacks for the little buggers and went to silk...same thing. So at this point have plastic plants.
After prowling the internet for over 6 months we scored on a 92 gal. corner bow front that came with a Fluvall 404 (rated for 100 gallons) canister filter and an undergravel setup with two power sweepers.
As we speak. the tank was setup 24 hours ago and I put a few handfuls of gravel from the old tank into the new to start cycling. There was 50lbs of gravel in there that we rinsed off and put back in the tank. It was a freshwater setup but not for goldfish.
So here come the questions. LMAO!

Is a week enough time for the new tank to cycle?
maybe or maybe not. Read up on the FISHLESS CYCLE and speed it along by running the OLD FILTER WITH YOUR NEW FILTER
Should we throw in some feeder fish to start the waste to nitrate cycle?
no use either PURE ammonia or some raw shrimp from the grocery store
Being that they are dirty fish, is the Fluvall 404 and the undergravel with 2 power sweepers enough to keep this tank clean?
IMO they are if you plan to do WEEKLY 50% water changes
The tank is slightly uneven in that the right side is a little deeper than the left, should we shim that side (tank and stand is sitting on carpet) to level it?
yes, an unlevel tank (especially that much :? ) is a accident waiting to happen, unless you like 92 gallons of water on your floor, LOL
The water is about an 1 " deeper on the right side. Is there anything recommended to get biologicals started besides adding gravel and fish? We are still using the old biowheel as the Hex is still running so don't want to remove it and place it on the new tank (don't think it'd help much being that new tank is almost 3x the size of old).
it will help transfer the good bacteria to the new tank, you can also move as much of the old gravel and decorations to the new tank, that will help too, but if it was me i would run BOTH filters on the new tank
Also, would it be better to add all the fish at once or one every couple of days. We understand they can be sensitive and don't want to stress them out too much.
once you are sure that tank is cycles... ammonia has spiked and gone down to zero, nitrite has spiked and gone down to zero and all you have is nitrates then you are cycled. if you do not have one already you will need a good liquid reagent test kit.
Thanks in advance for the info and judt in case you all didn't know, THIS SITE IS GREAT!!!

Happy New Year,
Locorosa

Please get a GOOD liquid test kit, such as the API master test kit shown here:

http://www.petsmart.com/global/prod...23693&bmUID=1166627892725&itemNo=11&N=2030067
(You can get it cheaper elsewhere, thats just a referance)

I think one filter is too small for that tank. I would get a second canister. I really like the Rena XP3. After rebate, if you bring the petsmart online printout to the store for a pricematch, its like 80 bucks. That is well worth it in my mind.

Your cycle is probably going to take 10-14ish days if you seed it with ammonia and media from your old tank. Its cruel to put in live fish before this is complete. Pure ammonia (no additives or perfume) works great if you dose it properly (maintaining the ammonia at around 2-3ppm), but the raw shrimp is easy, just a bit more messy looking.

Good luck, grats on the new tank :)

Thanks J and James for the info.
Being a girl I didn't think about using a leveller to check the tank...it's level, the one power sweeper was sitting lower and I didn't realize it. Lol!
We have a test kit but not one that checks for nitrates so off to get that after the holiday.
I read the info on shrimp and will try it but if my house gets stinky you guys are coming over to clean up! Also, the info was for a salt water setup. Would I do the same thing for my freshwater?
I'll check into the Rena XP3 to add to the tank...don't wanna fo 50% water changes weekly. That is a bit stressful for goldies as far as I know.

Once again, you guys are great. Happy New year!

locorosa said:
Thanks J and James for the info.
Being a girl I didn't think about using a leveller to check the tank...it's level, the one power sweeper was sitting lower and I didn't realize it. Lol!
We have a test kit but not one that checks for nitrates so off to get that after the holiday.
I read the info on shrimp and will try it but if my house gets stinky you guys are coming over to clean up! Also, the info was for a salt water setup. Would I do the same thing for my freshwater?
yes, we use the exact same process for freshwater :D
I'll check into the Rena XP3 to add to the tank...don't wanna fo 50% water changes weekly. That is a bit stressful for goldies as far as I know.

Once again, you guys are great. Happy New year!

Hi and welcome. I used the raw shrimp method (for a large tank with goldfish I'd actually throw 3 shrimp into that tank) - the house didn't smell but the tank water did. I had to lift the hood and sniff to smell it. I definitely liked it better than the ammonia method since I was afraid of not using the "right" ammonia (it has to be PURE ammonia, no additives at all other than water to dilute the strength - I've since learned that ACE Hardware has a janitorial ammonia that is safe).

Water changes of 50% are not stressful. I perform minimum of 50% on my tanks weekly. Good advice has been given so far. Do a fishless cycle using pure ammonia (it won't smell and is faster) before adding any fish and you will be good to go. That one handful of gravel into that tank will not help much. Plus, you need some ammonia feeding the bacteria otherwise it will just die.

Fishyfanatic said:
Water changes of 50% are not stressful. I perform minimum of 50% on my tanks weekly.
fish in the wild are getting new/fresh water all the time, so a 50% change per week is just fine...i do closer to 75% on my tanks... (2 x 50% per week on my mbuna tank).

just make sure you match the temp of the new water as close as you can to the temp of the old water (i use my feel) and use a good dechlorinator like Prime. some people swear by Stress Coat or other dechlorinator, but IMO prime is better and is more concentrated so it lasts longer...i.e. more bang for your buck :D

Back
Top Bottom