New tank setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vaquero

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am going to be setting up a tank(40-60gal) in the next few months, and I 'm trying to do all the research I can. The question I have right now, is can I use an under gravel filter system while using sand as my substrate? I know a lot of you will tell me NOT to use an under gravel system, but I'm just trying different ideas. I may be doing a Cichlid tank and having some other fish that are compatible as well like some bottom fish. It will be a planted tank as well whichever way I decide to go with fish species. My other thought is to do a tank with herbivores ONLY. Please give me your ideas for the larger tank size and/or fish.

An undergravel filter wont work with sand or plants. The sand will fall straight through the grates and the plants roots will grow and block the water flow. Best to stick with a HOB, a canister or an internal filter.

An undergravel filter wont work with sand or plants. The sand will fall straight through the grates and the plants roots will grow and block the water flow. Best to stick with a HOB, a canister or an internal filter.
Yes you make a great point. I am just trying to do something different from the ordinary. Ok so I found some 8/12 grit gravel/sand that I'm going to use. It is .50 a Lb from a local breeder I know. Think I'll buy 45-50 Lbs from him. That should take care of my needs. Would you say 1 Lb per gallon??? And can I mix into it something to act as a fertilizer/something good to plant in?

Back
Top Bottom