NH in tap water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sarasein

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi ya'll. I fished a fishelsss cycle and then did a large water change to get ready for fish. I tested after and realized my local water has Ammonia in it. About .5 PPM. Is this going to be an issue with fish? What do I need to do to correct it?

If the tank is cycled it shouldn't be a big problem, the bacteria should be able to process the ammonia (just like the ammonia your fish and plants release). I don't think .5ppm is gonna be too bad as long as you aren't doing major pwc's, like 70-80%

That means you have chloramine rather than chlorine in your water. Make sure you use a conditioner that works with chloramine as well, as some only treat chlorine. If you use a conditioner like Prime, it detoxifies the ammonia for a couple days, which allows the biofilter to take care of it before the fish are affected.

That means you have chloramine rather than chlorine in your water. Make sure you use a conditioner that works with chloramine as well, as some only treat chlorine. If you use a conditioner like Prime, it detoxifies the ammonia for a couple days, which allows the biofilter to take care of it before the fish are affected.
Thanks. I will pick that up today with everything else. :fish2:day. I am so excited.

Back
Top Bottom