Nitrate and nitrite leavels please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How big are the Oscars? Oscars aren't really suitable in anything less than a 75 gallon and that is for one by itself. Not only do they get very large they also create a large amount of waste which will end up causing high nitrates.

In a couple months I'm moving so I'm looking at getting a bigger tank for them

Ok we'll my oscars are not too big right now so when I move out I'm going to get a bigger tank for them

I know they grow fast I just don't have room for a bigger tank right now

Stunting can be a big issue too, but if the water quality falls to much HITH can become a major issue. Depending on the footprint of the tank if water was kept pristine, those two fish could easily still reach 12 inches plus but be very cramped. Probably not the 14-16 they should though. I don't post this to start an efight, and respect your opinion. NGH, all you can do is try to give them the best you can.

And I'm doing what I can for the fish I was told by people that 54 gallons is enough but I will be getting a bigger tank

That's good. I sincerely hope i didn't come off as if i was criticizing you, i have been guilty of overstocking myself at times, sometimes due to bad advice, sometimes due to impulsive buys. Hope everything goes well with you and your fish.

No it's fine it can just be frustrating listening to alot of different things from people

I understand, it can be overwhelming sometimes. Just keep up with those waterchanges to keep the nitrates as low as you can and the rest will work itself out in time.

I defenitly appreciate the help I will take any advice I can get

I went and bought some colony stuff that is supposed to cycle my tank instantly and neutralizes ammonia and nitrite spikes do u think it would be good to use that when I do my water changes

So I did 40 gallon water change on my 55 gallon tank and removed the gravel an put sand in I just did a water test (about an hour after I did the water change) and everything is perfect. I'm going to keep doing test to make sure it stays that way. Thank you to those of you who gave me advice. I'm getting ready to get rid of my filter that hangs on the tank and get a canaster filter. Any advice on what kind to get for my 55

Back
Top Bottom