Nitrate and nitrite leavels please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nghsquad05

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 55 gallon tank with African chiclids an a 54 gallon corner tank with 2 oscars. My 55 gallon the nitrates are really high I did and 50% water changes 2 days ago than another one last night but the levels haven't changed. In my corner tank both the nitrates and nitrites are really high. I have also done 50% water changes at the same time and nothing comes down. I have read plants can help bring the levels down so I added some real plants. I took all the gravel out of both tanks and cleaned it real good I also added an ammonia detoxifier that is supposed to bring down all my levels but it doesn't help everything else is reading fine just my nitrates and nitrites are high what else can I do

Keep doing water changes till the numbers come down. Test your tap water. What are the numbers for that?

If they stay high, do water changes every day, use products to lower nitrite levels at the same time.

I have been doing water changes and using stuff to lower it but it doesn't lower at all

So I tested my tap water out of the faucet and it as no nitrates and nitrites

Ok I will keep trying constant water changes do you think sand is better to keep it under control?

I have had my 55 gallon set up for almost a year and my 54 gallon corner tank for about 6 months. I have added plants to the tank to try and help. My chiclids and oscars don't mess with them so I hoping that helps

I replace the filer cartridge on a regular basis and the only I have added is plants but that was after I tested the tank

Aha! I think we found your problem. Contrary to what filter companies say... You should only replace filter cartridges when they are literally falling apart. Every time you replace it you are throwing away your beneficial bacteria and starting the cycle over again. When the filter cartridge gets gunky, you can swish it out in used tank water. Never clean it with chlorinated water.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium/

I did not know that thank you I will try that from now on. That will save me lots of money too. Do you have any experience in sump pumps for a tank. I was thinking of changing to that instead

No sorry I don't. It seems like more saltwater people use those. Once your tanks get cycled and stable, you should be good to go. When the time comes to change out your filter cartridge, add the new one while the old one is still in there for a few weeks before removing the old one. Have a look at those links. I think they'll explain a lot.

Well thanks for the help. My filter has 2 cartridges so I can replace one than the other after awhile. I hope this works but meanwhile I'm going to keep doing water changes

Back
Top Bottom