Nitrate disappeared ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keke89

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all

Quick info :

Tank 4 months old

15 gallon tank

12 guppys

5 cory cat juili

Do twice weekly water change

Wednesday days 30% change
Sunday 50%

Before any change, I test water parameters.

Was always
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5

Then about a month ago I added 4 plants.

Since then everything is 0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

I tried leaving the tank alone a whole week without doing water change, but still everything remains 0.

Not sure if this is good or bad?

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

All fishies are super happy and healthy.

Thank you

Are you using the API kit? With that many fish there should be some trates, than again with plants and a stellar wc routine it's not shocking to have little to none.. What are the plants? Some plants will inhale trates like me at .25 cent wing night;)

Hi brookster!!

Ja, very big on water changes, and the fish enjoy it so much as well.

Do not recall name of plants, but have some pictures. Let me know if you need clearer pics. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396703601.376926.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396703669.978341.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396703724.843657.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396703808.557089.jpg

In South Africa we don't have API products, however I invested in a very good liquid test kit... No strips here?

Hi brookster!! Ja, very big on water changes, and the fish enjoy it so much as well. Do not recall name of plants, but have some pictures. Let me know if you need clearer pics. In South Africa we don't have API products, however I invested in a very good liquid test kit... No strips heredde0a
Hello!! As long as it's a quality testing kit and you're performing it correctly;) as long as the plants do not look to be suffering from lack if nitrates than I'd say all is well in keke's tank!!

It's not good to have 0 nitrates in a planted tank. Plants need macro and micro nutrients. You at least need to use something like Seachem Flourish Comprehensive 1-2 times weekly but if you plants begin to show signs of nutrient deficiencies you might have to look into using the Seachem Plant Package of ferts or buying dry ferts which are much cheaper to use in the long run.

Hi rivercats, great will get some seachem flourish and excel I think tomorrow. Don't want plants to suffer.

Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom