Nitrates and nitrites are high! Help ASAP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes your tank is cycling, so technically you're doing a fish in cycle which isn't the humane way, yes you need to do them daily but don't gravel vac as you have to build beneficial bacteria don't clean the filters either.

Nitrites will be taken care of when your bacterial colony gets big enough. NitrAtes are removed during water changes and a little by plants. You want to aim for under 20ppm on Nitrates but rarely will you have zero.

Because you tank isnt cycled yet (not enough bacteria) you will need to do partial water changes daily.

Your nitrates are what keep your ammonia and nitrite in check once that stabilizes your ammonia and nitrite will drop to zero, do small pwc's daily with prime

Nitrites will be taken care of when your bacterial colony gets big enough. NitrAtes are removed during water changes and a little by plants. You want to aim for under 20ppm on Nitrates but rarely will you have zero.

Because you tank isnt cycled yet (not enough bacteria) you will need to do partial water changes daily.
I got the ammolock as you told me before and I've been doing water changes everyday and I see no improvement and the fish aren't looking too happy

Yes your tank is cycling, so technically you're doing a fish in cycle which isn't the humane way, yes you need to do them daily but don't gravel vac as you have to build beneficial bacteria don't clean the filters either.
Opps, I've been gravel vaccuming. So I should keep doing water changes everyday, until it's gone? I don't have prime but I have a water conditioner. I haven't changed the filter either. How long do you thing this will take? I'm just scared to lose more fish and I wanted to stock more but I obviously can't now[emoji20]
Your nitrates are what keep your ammonia and nitrite in check once that stabilizes your ammonia and nitrite will drop to zero, do small pwc's daily with prime

Remember don't worry about nitrates right now, later down the road you might see people freak out about nitrates but in my personal opinion based on facts and the has been no studies on warm water fish for nitrates I don't fret about them anymore I just do 1 50% pwc a week, but my tank is well established

Well here is the gist. your fish were being poisioned by several toxins. Now they are not or at least are very minimally. You are doing your best. Just because they are in a good environment now doesnt mean they will magically get better immediatly. Recovering takes time, and sometimes if the conditions were bad enough some fish never do recover. You are doing your best and now you just have to hope your fish pull through.

Are you using a liquid test kit? Like an api master liquid test kit, strips are inaccurate, also I would get prime they sell it at petsmart, pet Co, don't buy fish from those places though find a reputable local fish store in your area.

Are you using a liquid test kit? Like an api master liquid test kit, strips are inaccurate, also I would get prime they sell it at petsmart, pet Co, don't buy fish from those places though find a reputable local fish store in your area.
No I have been using strips. I have tetra water conditioner and ammolock. I'm not going to buy prime because I have so much of the others. I actually do go to petco because the girl in Aquatics knows a lot about fish. She's a hobbyist herself. So I trust them.

Well here is the gist. your fish were being poisioned by several toxins. Now they are not or at least are very minimally. You are doing your best. Just because they are in a good environment now doesnt mean they will magically get better immediatly. Recovering takes time, and sometimes if the conditions were bad enough some fish never do recover. You are doing your best and now you just have to hope your fish pull through.
So I should just keep doing partial water changes daily and hope for the best?

To each their own is not the people is the store, and yes you should buy prime as its the best out there

To each their own is not the people is the store, and yes you should buy prime as its the best out there
Well I just bought a 16.90 FL oz of tetra water conditioner, so u less you're refunding me my money I'm using it until it's gone lol. Then I will get prime. And same goes for the liquid test kit. Those are expensive. I have to make due with what I have for now because I'm broke.

Back
Top Bottom